Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: asus 1015pem

Beans

asus 1015pem

hey there. firstly, my apologies if the hardware in question has already been discussed, but i was unable to find the exact model number via search, and as these things get pretty particular i'm forced to ask explicitly. if i've overlooked this discussion elsewhere, then shame on me.

that said, the new asus 1015pem, with the atom n550, looks pretty enticing as a linux netbook. i'm returning to linux after about 15 years, so the last time i ran it was on a 386 or 486. i know enough to understand that issues with drivers and other hardware concerns can make or break an install, but not enough to infer $400ish worth of netbook selection from chatter on teh intarweb.

i'm planning on running debian lenny, so my assumption (perhaps foolish) is that if ubuntu is running smoothly on one of these things, then it'll probably be fine with lenny. has anyone had any experience with this new model already, or has enough insight into the critical architectures (atom n550, gma 3150, usb 3.0, etc.) to say with confidence that there shouldn't be any problems?

any and all feedback is appreciated.

Beans

Re: asus 1015pem

bump

Beans

I just received my 1015pem yesterday and just booted into -- via USB -- ubuntu 10,10 beta x64.

EVERYTHING WORKS

it's very smooth, and buttery, and it makes ne feel all tingly inside

best of luck!

matt

Beans

When you say everything does hibernate work ?

What kind of battery life are you getting?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by castlefox View Post
    When you say everything does hibernate work ?

What kind of battery life are you getting?
    I will bump this as I am interested in an answer also...

Beans

Bump also, I'm thinking of getting the this for uni.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I purchased one of these netbooks earlier this week and have loaded Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Edition on to it.

In regard to hibernation, I have tested and going into and coming out of hibernation worked. However, the system seemed to take longer than it should have to do both.

I will try and get a better timing of battery life this weekend and report back if people are still interested. Based on my usage thus far, I have been able to get at least 8 hours with regular usage.

The wireless works smoothly following the installation of an additional driver and the sound works perfectly as well.

If there are any other questions regarding the 1015PEM, then let me know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LocarionStorm View Post
    I purchased one of these netbooks earlier this week and have loaded Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Edition on to it.

In regard to hibernation, I have tested and going into and coming out of hibernation worked. However, the system seemed to take longer than it should have to do both.

I will try and get a better timing of battery life this weekend and report back if people are still interested. Based on my usage thus far, I have been able to get at least 8 hours with regular usage.

The wireless works smoothly following the installation of an additional driver and the sound works perfectly as well.

If there are any other questions regarding the 1015PEM, then let me know.
    LocarionStorm, did you tweak any settings to get such a long battery life? What does your normal usage consist of?

Beans

I just got this machine in my hands -- there's another thread over at NBR here http://forum.notebookreview.com/linu...em-ubuntu.html

I'll update my post there after I've worked through the installation, I'm just backing up the recovery partition at the moment.

The approximate battery life is ~5hrs out of the box estimated, although I've yet to go through a full cycle.

The wireless on my particular machine (PU17) is BCM4313 which the brcm80211 staging driver works for, so I'm going to use that instead of the atrocious Broadcom STA (wl) driver.

Beans

Hey i've installed ubuntu 10.10 desktop edition on my 1015PEM and was wondering if anybody has the problem of some of the fn keys not working, and hopefully a solution. the keys are fn-f2, fn-f3 and fn-f7.

also the enable/disable wireless button isn't working for me either. (and the power saving mode switch button next to it, but i don't care about that, although keymapping it for something else would be handy.)

i post this from my 1015pem, contented with my purchase :D

i initially installed ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition with unity. what a joke that is.

thanks in advance for any solutions and advice

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast