Thread: Network bridging with changing interfaces

Beans

Question [Resolved] Network bridging with changing interfaces

I am using a notebook with a virtual machine which I intend to use for development of web services, however, I am not permanently connected to any particular interface. At home I use wlan0 but no eth0, at work I use eth0 and no wlan0, yet again on the road I use mobile Internet through an usb dongle with yet another interface (mobnet0).

If possible I would like the virtual machine to be accessible from the host without any network connected, just through a loopback interface to lets say 127.1.0.11 or so.

What is the best way to set this up, and also leave it open for the virtual machine to do updates while on eth0 or wlan0 but NOT while I am using mobile Internet?
    Last edited by kandresen; September 25th, 2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Network bridging with changing interfaces

This is easily done. All you have to do is change the networking settings in the virtual environment. If you have trouble doing this, please post what software you're using for your virtual host.

Edit:
    Moved this to the virtualization section.

Beans

I am trying to use virtualization using KVM with virt-manager. The problem is I am not connected permanently to any particular interface but need to be able to access the webserver etc. located inside the virtual machine through the regular web browsers on the host system.

The network is currently configured with the default NAT network option which only allows the client system to connect to the Internet and not me to connect to it through the browsers on the host, and all the instructions I find require that I have eth0 for bridging. I have tried using recommendations meant for eth0 with lo (loopback) instead but this fails completely:

iface br0 inet static
    address 127.1.0.2
    network 127.1.0.0
    netmask 255.0.0.0
    broadcast 127.1.0.255
    gateway 127.1.0.1
    bridge_ports lo # replaced eth0 with lo and changed ip addresses
    bridge_fd 9
    bridge_hello 2
    bridge_maxage 12
    bridge_stp off

So what can I do to make the web-server within the client system accessible from the host or other clients?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: Network bridging with changing interfaces

I have a VT built server and having same trouble bridging Qmenu-Kvm network, can't create a bridge with Virtual Manager 0.8.2 and trying to manually create the bridge in /etc/interfaces file.

kvm-ok
    Code:
    INFO: Your CPU supports KVM extensions
    INFO: /dev/kvm exists
    KVM acceleration can be used
    installed bridge-utils

Host (Static IP) ifconfig output:
    Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1c:c0:94:16:fd  
              inet addr:192.168.1.65  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::21c:c0ff:fe94:16fd/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:540 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:372 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 
              RX bytes:215498 (215.4 KB)  TX bytes:53732 (53.7 KB)
              Memory:d2300000-d2320000 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:52 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:52 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:4410 (4.4 KB)  TX bytes:4410 (4.4 KB)

virbr0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr ce:f4:45:3f:c6:20  
              inet addr:192.168.122.1  Bcast:192.168.122.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::ccf4:45ff:fe3f:c620/64 Scope:Link
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:75 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:11165 (11.1 KB)
    My VM Webserver (Static IP) ifconfig output:
    Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1c:c0:94:16:fd  
              inet addr:192.168.122.11  Bcast:192.168.122.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::21c:c0ff:fe94:16fd/64 Scope:Link
              RX packets:540 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:372 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 
              RX bytes:215498 (215.4 KB)  TX bytes:53732 (53.7 KB)
              Memory:d2300000-d2320000 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:720 (720.0 B)  TX bytes:720 (720.0 B)
    This is a virtual network example from https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/network-configuration.html#bridging:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto br0
    iface br0 inet static
            address 192.168.0.10
            network 192.168.0.0
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            broadcast 192.168.0.255
            gateway 192.168.0.1
            bridge_ports eth0
            bridge_fd 9
            bridge_hello 2
            bridge_maxage 12
            bridge_stp off
    Anything else I need to post and how do I create the bridge?
    Last edited by VcDeveloper; September 18th, 2010 at 05:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Network bridging with changing interfaces

More Posts:

Code:
    virsh net-list --all
    Name                 State      Autostart
    -----------------------------------------
    default              active     yes
    Code:
    brctl show
    bridge name    bridge id        STP enabled    interfaces
    virbr0        8000.d69466d8aa70    yes        vnet0

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Network bridging with changing interfaces

After doing so much reading and searching all over the place, it ends up being so simple. BUT, the documentation doesn't give you any clue how to do it! I ended up just running into it.

What they should of just said, is to create another interface settings in the interface file in /etc/network and gave an example like this:

Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet manual

auto br0
    iface br0 inet static
            address 192.168.1.65
            network 192.168.1.0
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            broadcast 192.168.1.255
            gateway 192.168.1.254
            bridge_ports eth0
            bridge_fd 9
            bridge_hello 2
            bridge_maxage 12
            bridge_stp off
    ...then explain these settings are to reflect the host IP settings, then when you either when you create a VM, all you have to do is select this as the NIC or if you already have a VM, you would have to edit the .xml file and make the change to this:

Code:
        <interface type='bridge'>
          <mac address='52:54:00:24:9e:d9'/>
          <source bridge='br0'/>
          <model type='virtio'/>
        </interface>
    this .xml file located in the folder /var/lib/libirt/images

The ones who make these documentation and tutorials should be keep in mind you have beginners and you shouldn't assume everyone knows what your talking about! AND, be specific and detailed oriented!

I'm using the Virtual Machine Manager to create and manage my VM's. I think I will do a tutorial using this approach just to show everyone how to do a tutorial the professional way!

Beans

Unfortunately that simple solution does not work when no eth0 is connected, which is exactly my problem from the very beginning. I am most of the time not connected to any eth0. In fact, I am actually frequently sharing my wlan0 connection on eth0, simply put I cannot use eth0 for this.

I can not use wlan0 neither, for I am not connected with that interface all the time neither, so I need it connect somehow on loopback (lo) in such a way I can connect to it from the host system and/or other virtual machines running locally on the same server.

I have figured however I might have done this wrong initially and am now trying to configure it through "virtual machine manager" itself. Going to Edit -> Host Details and selecting the tab "Virtual Networks" and adding new network there.

I call it something such as vlan10, then choose network range for example 127.200.1.0 then I have tried without dhcp, for "forward to physical network" selecting "Physical device lo" and mode "Routed", and save the changes.

From there I Open my client virtual machine, "In details" I do "Add hardware" and select "Network". And add my newly created network card.

I then tried to configure the virtual client using fixed ip address on 127.200.1.1 with netmask 255.0.0.0 and route at 127.200.1.0 and restart the client. The network is claimed to be started correctly, however I can still not connect to it from the host system.

How do I setup a virtual server in such a way that the client machines network services can be accessed from the host system over loopback interface, or in such a situation as when constantly moving between many alternative network interfaces such as eth0, wlan0, and mobilebroadband cards?

Beans

I have found a temporary alternative solution until I come across a host based solution. What I did was installing OpenVPN on host and server, the current solution is as follows:

#host.conf
    dev tun
    ifconfig 10.8.0.1 10.8.0.2

#### END ####

#client.conf
    remote 192.168.122.1 #IP of default virtual network card (vrbr0) created by the virtual server manager.
    dev tun
    ifconfig 10.8.0.2 10.8.0.1

#### END ####

This allowed me to connect to the web server within the virtual client machine using http://10.8.0.2 which so could be named in the /etc/hosts file. It is clearly not as good as setting this up on the host side, I do have some more ideas of how I might do this, but at least, I did manage to setup a solution that did not require additional encryption overhead and do mostly what I want with the exception of requiring installing openvpn on client and the host. SSH seems to work, but it also seem to freeze if inactive for a while(?). It can also seem like there is a time lag when connecting, but I have not yet tried too much.

Despite working, I thus don't see this as resolved.

Beans

My issue has been resolved!

I am realizing the problem was with the restrictive client system, not the host... What I finally did was running "tcpdump -i eth0" on the client machine, then I finally noticed that the connections went through but where blocked by firewall rules...

I realized it as the openvpn connection worked when using ssh, but not when using web services... When realizing the real problem, I went back and tried again without the openvpn connection, and sure enough - the connection to the web server works from the client machine...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kandresen View Post
    My issue has been resolved!

I am realizing the problem was with the restrictive client system, not the host... What I finally did was running "tcpdump -i eth0" on the client machine, then I finally noticed that the connections went through but where blocked by firewall rules...

I realized it as the openvpn connection worked when using ssh, but not when using web services... When realizing the real problem, I went back and tried again without the openvpn connection, and sure enough - the connection to the web server works from the client machine...
    Congrat's!