Thread: Kittens hate Gentoo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Kittens hate Gentoo

Just thought I would share my bit of tragedy last night. It is funny, well not so much to me but my Wife was laughing for a good 10 minutes.

I have a Powerbook G4 that i fixed a while back. Lately it has been testing various Ubuntu versions but I wanted to try something new. In the past I had given Gentoo a go on an older system, only to have it crash after 3 days of compiling xorg. But this is a newer and faster system...should be fine....right??

Over the past week I had done 2 builds. For some reason the kernel kept on giving me drive issues so I ended up using genkernel on Monday to get it finally booting.

Yeah me....

Tuesday afternoon comes and we are going out for the night. Perfect time to setup the laptop to compile xorg. So I setup my drivers and start the emerge, 67 packages total. Happy in my endeavorer we go out to dinner.

11 comes and we return home. Excited I rush to the room only to find the laptop powered off. Apparently the power adapter looked like a toy to our new kittens and they accidental pulled the plug. 2 hours later, during the emerge process, the battery dropped.

Now the drive has corruption and refuses to boot.

So, my kittens hate Gentoo. Think I may try Arc on it next...if they approve...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Kittens hate Gentoo

Quote Originally Posted by Calash View Post
    In the past I had given Gentoo a go on an older system, only to have it crash after 3 days of compiling xorg.
    You should have used that system to try to compile OpenOffice!

Anyway, I don't think your kittens hate Gentoo. They were simply testing the robustness of the filesystem you were using. Perhaps they had an opinion about ext3/4, whatever it was, and were making a point.

I think you'll like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKvNq...e_gdata_player
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

At least your kittens didn't do this...

311 may be down with "the unity", but I am not.
    Anxiously waiting for Mint 11.

Asus G73 i7 Processor 6 GB RAM
    HP Media Center Pc 876x 1.5 GB Ram p4 2.4 ghz Processor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I loled.
    http://sekuritysuks.wordpress.com

~$ sudo apt-get meabeer
    E: Invalid operation meabeer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gentoo is only good if your time means nothing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup306 View Post
    At least your kittens didn't do this...

Too funny

I know I could probably fix it. The bootup is complaining about file system errors. A fsck will likely clean it up...not sure how emerge handles crashes so I don't know how difficult that would be to fix. It just takes so long to do most anything that I will probably just be happier trying a different distro on it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Calash View Post
    . It just takes so long to do most anything that I will probably just be happier trying a different distro on it.

I don't blame you if you want to switch to a different distro. I had both Arch and Gentoo installed on my desktop. They both took about a half a day to install. The big deal breaker for Arch was that there is no security at all for it. Gentoo is probably the same way.

I like good old Ubuntu myself. It's challenging enough for me to use a development release, or Fedora (Linus Torvalds uses Fedora). I guess Arch and Gentoo is more customizable, but the only thing I want to change in Ubuntu that I can't is to get rid of the format option from the drop down menu, and I'd like to password protect the shred function.
    311 may be down with "the unity", but I am not.
    Anxiously waiting for Mint 11.

Asus G73 i7 Processor 6 GB RAM
    HP Media Center Pc 876x 1.5 GB Ram p4 2.4 ghz Processor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Funny story.