Thread: ubuntu-help.com legit site?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ubuntu-help.com legit site?

I somehow ended up on ubuntu-help.com instead of ubuntuforums.org at some point. Is it affiliated with ubuntuforums.org as I can't find any links to it anywhere and the whois information is different. I've already changed my password thinking it might be a password stealing site but just to make sure I'm asking here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ubuntu-help.com legit site?

Quote Originally Posted by gtaluvit View Post
    I somehow ended up on ubuntu-help.com instead of ubuntuforums.org at some point. Is it affiliated with ubuntuforums.org as I can't find any links to it anywhere and the whois information is different. I've already changed my password thinking it might be a password stealing site but just to make sure I'm asking here.
    You might be right. It resolves to b1.darrenwhitlen.com (94.23.159.10) which isn't in any way affiliated with Ubuntu or Canonical. It's likely a proxy site trying to steal passwords.

Edit: The IPs in use by that site have been banned. Hopefully that should trigger some red flags to anyone trying to sign in with it.
    Last edited by jpeddicord; September 15th, 2010 at 02:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Definitely a password stealing site. My "IP has been blocked by an admin" and they want me to send a message by logging in. I've left some interesting usernames and passwords for them. I hate people sometimes. At least that password was only used here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by gtaluvit View Post
    . I've left some interesting usernames and passwords for them. I hate people sometimes.
    LoL. I am laughing hard now. But really, they deserve that. 'Probably a place where spammers hang out.
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]