Thread: Changing the default bittorrent client in Firefox

Beans

Changing the default bittorrent client in Firefox

I've got both Deluge and Vuze installed on my box and the default in Gnome is set to Deluge which is what I want, but in Firefox the default is set to Vuze so when I download a torrent file and open it through the Downloads window that pops up it opens in Vuze, which is what I don't want.

I've looked into the preferences file and tried to change the program application but it seems that it's either always ask, save file, use Vuze(default), or use a different program like Deluge. I like it to always ask, so I don't want to change it to use Deluge first, I want it to always ask, but then have Deluge be the default.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Changing the default bittorrent client in Firefox

I'm having the same problem, except with Transmission rather than Vuze. I've determined that the default setting is inherited from Ubuntu, and it cannot be fixed in Firefox. Does anyone know where Firefox inherits this setting from Ubuntu, and how it can be changed? I've already tried changing it in Gnome, and that did not work.

Beans

I figured it out. You need to add or change a line in /etc/gnome/defaults.list
    First,
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list
    If there is a application/x-bittorrent= line, change it to the following. Otherwise, add it.
    Code:
    application/x-bittorrent=deluge.desktop
    Then restart Firefox, and it will change the default

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I just save .torrent files and have Deluge monitor my Downloads folder for .torrent files and automatically add them.
    Yesterday it worked.
    Today it is not working.
    Windows is like that.

Beans

Thanks punkideas it worked.

And I have quite a few different .torrents set up in the same folder that I only activate sporadically, so your idea wouldn't really work for me ninjapirate, thanks for the response though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by punkideas View Post
    I figured it out. You need to add or change a line in /etc/gnome/defaults.list
    First,
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list
    If there is a application/x-bittorrent= line, change it to the following. Otherwise, add it.
    Code:
    application/x-bittorrent=deluge.desktop
    Then restart Firefox, and it will change the default
    When I went to the application list, there is nothing for bittorents, any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nevermind. I went to terminal and typed 'which deluge' which gave me the path to the program. In Firefox I chose 'other' instead of Transmission and typed in the path, since for some reason Deluge is not coming up in the /bin folder. Seems to have kept Deluge as the default since I did that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Back to sleep. Closed.