Thread: "Ubuntuforums" not free software itself?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

"Ubuntuforums" not free software itself?

This is a question to all the powers that be... I was intrigued by the how-to's of creating a forum (specifically, a group of fine comrades used to host a forum in college, which died shortly after our exit; it would discuss everything under the sun - GNU/Linux, anime, music, etc etc etc - anything that somebody from the college would delve in or be expected to delve in) - and I decided to look into how ubuntuforums has been created. I see that it has been done using the vBulletin software, which to my surprise comes with a proprietary license. I would respectfully like to ask - should not the forum software itself be something under a GPL or similar free software licence, since, as it aims to support the free software movement which Ubuntu itself is by and large? I can imagine that the original forum created by Ryan might have been made by vBulletin, and things might have just continued from then to be the way they are... but, unless it is impossible to transfer the entire forum from one platform to another (like phpbb for instance?), should one think on those lines? I am a complete n00b when it comes to how hard this matter might be, but this is just a thought.
    Last edited by manzdagratiano; September 14th, 2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Poor sentence construction
    Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

Beans
    Distro

Re: "Ubuntuforums" not free software itself?

Whoops! My bad... I just probed bodhi.zazen's "Guide to Forum features" here and there are a number of reasons for the same listed therein... I apologize for plunging in without looking in detail... but maybe someday the move to GPL might indeed be feasible.
    Last edited by manzdagratiano; September 14th, 2010 at 02:57 AM. Reason: misspelled bodhi.zazen's name
    Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

Beans

They smartly went with the best choice rather than blindly using an inferior product just because of the license.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

vBulletin is a great piece of software used by many Linux Forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm sure that vBulletin is fabulous and it obviously works on this forum, but it leaves me with a question. If Linux and FOSS had also been received with the same lack of interest, would we be here to discuss the merits of a proprietary application ? Food for thought ?
    Last edited by MooPi; September 14th, 2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MooPi View Post
    I'm sure that vBulletin is fabulous and it obviously works on this forum, but it leaves me with a question. If Linux and FOSS and also been received with the same lack of interest, would we be here to discuss the merits of a proprietary application ? Food for thought ?
    No, because Linux is a great piece of software for many applications. It succeeds because it is a good solution. The licences is secondary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    No, because Linux is a great piece of software for many applications. It succeeds because it is a good solution. The licences is secondary.
    Linux is great now but ten years ago it was not. Most Foss applications were very rough around the edges. But a faith in a concept prevailed and now we have an exceptional software environment. If a free or open source solution is used then feedback and solutions are found to make it better. I'm only expressing that by using open source it feeds the development process.
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i think that linux companies use lots of proprietary software. they probably even use windows machines for some things.
    Amd Phenom 2 p920 Quad Core, 4gb DDR3 Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon 5650, 500gb hdd, Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MooPi View Post
    Linux is great now but ten years ago it was not. Most Foss applications were very rough around the edges. But a faith in a concept prevailed and now we have an exceptional software environment. If a free or open source solution is used then feedback and solutions are found to make it better. I'm only expressing that by using open source it feeds the development process.
    I would certainly agree... the free software licence is indeed paramount, as much as the software itself - maybe I have been influenced too much by Richard Stallman, but an open environment is indeed the true hallmark of innovation, and it is the reason why GNU/Linux has progressed so much over the ages. If everyone were to adopt the Microsoft philosophy and not allow any amount of freedom in choosing what you can do and cannot do with the software you are supposed to own, the entire software conglomerate itself would be a much dirtier business today... I believe one primary reason why people are attracted to GNU/Linux is because they feel the power of being able to effect a change themselves; I certainly do. I hope to see all existing software be free software someday (and again, free as in free speech, not free beer); it is the idea that supremely draws me to GNU/Linux.
    Last edited by manzdagratiano; September 14th, 2010 at 03:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sxmaxchine View Post
    i think that linux companies use lots of proprietary software. they probably even use windows machines for some things.
    That I have no idea how much is true... for, in my opinion, whatever Windows can do, Linux can do better!
    Last edited by cariboo; September 14th, 2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: fixed windows spelling error