Thread: Apt-get download speeds on VPS -- slow?

Beans

Apt-get download speeds on VPS -- slow?

Hello, new to forum, but all my google searches keep bringing me here.
    Running Hardy heron on my vps and using apt-get to install packages through putty.
    I noticed the download speed indicated in the terminal was pretty slow using a public connection as compared to my home network connection. Does this download speed depend on my upload speed?
    I've been searching for information on how the data was transferred from repo to server. Judging from the vps's download speed, it looks like the path is: repo -->my computer(terminal client) --> VPS. Is that right? If so, is there any way to have the vps download straight from the repo?

I guess it might answer my question when I get home and use my home connection but I thought I'd ask.

Edit:
    When I VNC into the VPS, the download speeds are upwards of 20 mbits/sec on a 1 MB file so it must be routing data through the terminal client.
    Last edited by fathom1; September 13th, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Apt-get download speeds on VPS -- slow?

Quote Originally Posted by fathom1 View Post
    Hello, new to forum, but all my google searches keep bringing me here.
    Running Hardy heron on my vps and using apt-get to install packages through putty.
    I noticed the download speed indicated in the terminal was pretty slow using a public connection as compared to my home network connection. Does this download speed depend on my upload speed?
    I've been searching for information on how the data was transferred from repo to server. Judging from the vps's download speed, it looks like the path is: repo -->my computer(terminal client) --> VPS. Is that right? If so, is there any way to have the vps download straight from the repo?

I guess it might answer my question when I get home and use my home connection but I thought I'd ask.
    No, apt-get downloads direct to your VPS.

What technology for VPS ? My openvz and LXC VPS are as fast as the connection allows.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface