Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server for small office scenario

Beans

Server for small office scenario

We have a small office with 4-5 computers and would like to set up a machine to act primarily as a file server. Most of the desktops are using windows.

What would I need in terms of a computer to handle file server capability and would we be able to also host our web site from that same machine?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Server for small office scenario

Quote Originally Posted by woodchipper View Post
    We have a small office with 4-5 computers and would like to set up a machine to act primarily as a file server. Most of the desktops are using windows.

What would I need in terms of a computer to handle file server capability and would we be able to also host our web site from that same machine?

Thanks.
    Samba, I guess will be enough, for the file server.
    For the webserver, you'll need Apache, the web server.
    Are you planning on hosting what type of web site on the box, say, a public website of you company, or it'll be an internal website, accessible only from within you office?
    Live long and prosper.
    And use lotsa Linux, BSD, and Emacs.

Beans

It would be a public website.

Recommendations on hardware?

Beans
    Distro

Leaving the hardware aside, at least for the moment, I wouldn't mix those two services on the same box.
    Think that the files'll be on the same box that it is accessible over the internet.
    Live long and prosper.
    And use lotsa Linux, BSD, and Emacs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by woodchipper View Post
    It would be a public website.

Recommendations on hardware?
    You don't need powerful hardware for something like this, though it depends some on how much traffic you get on the website.

The biggest thing is having a reliable piece of hardware with some redundant systems and RAID. What's your budget?

Beans

yes think of the budget, if its only a network area storage, look into NAT's and the file server you can just host off bluehost or something for 4 bucks a mo
    Just hand me my pitchfork and torch.

Beans

A simple website doesn't take much resources. You can do everything on one machine, but it can become a maintenance head-ache.

So I would suggest that you install Virtualbox or VMware Player and make a virtual machine for the web server, another VM for Email and a third one for Samba, just to keep things separated. The other advantage is that when things grow and you need more computing power, it is easy to move a VM to another machine.

If you are really lazy, then you can download preconfigured VMs from the VMware web site for all of these.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by v1ad View Post
    yes think of the budget, if its only a network area storage, look into NAT's and the file server you can just host off bluehost or something for 4 bucks a mo
    I just set up my website a couple of days ago and almost everyday I am getting cpu throttled.

Also Bluehost has high cpu load too.

And it seems mysql is using 96.4% cpu time.
    Last edited by waloshin; September 13th, 2010 at 06:01 AM.

Beans

o that i didn't know, thats terrible, then i would go with HermanAB's advice.
    Just hand me my pitchfork and torch.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    A simple website doesn't take much resources. You can do everything on one machine, but it can become a maintenance head-ache.

So I would suggest that you install Virtualbox or VMware Player and make a virtual machine for the web server, another VM for Email and a third one for Samba, just to keep things separated. The other advantage is that when things grow and you need more computing power, it is easy to move a VM to another machine.

If you are really lazy, then you can download preconfigured VMs from the VMware web site for all of these.
    Virtual box is ok but I would recommend VMWARE ESXi
    https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/ind...urce=hp&q=esxi
    That way you can upgrade to ESX if needed later.

I would recommend one virtual server running a standard LAMP (Linux, Apache, MYSQL, PHP), and another one running samba.
    "Don't Panic"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast