Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HP G62 trackpad issue

Beans

[Solved] HP G62 trackpad issue

I just bought the new HP G62 laptop, and the hardware support is generally pretty good on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit with two exceptions.

The first is the audio card, which is a new Intel HDA 3400 series model. It, though, is supported through a more recent Alsa driver that needs to be installed manually. That isn't really a problem.

The biggest problem is the trackpad. It's a standard Synaptics pad, but somehow the settings are all screwed up. For general pointing operation, the support is just okay (the occasional mouse jump here and there), but there is one large horizontal section on the bottom of the trackpad where no touching is recognized. I also cannot get the two finger scroll and two/three finger right click enabled. I assume these are all just settings that are messed up, but without HAL or an xorg.conf I'm not sure where to start. I've tried synclient to change the values, but they never seem to work for the two finger scroll. I know two finger scroll is supported because it works fine under Windows.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by cooltd825; July 19th, 2010 at 03:24 PM.

Beans

Re: HP G62 trackpad issue

*bump*

Beans

Bump. Same issue on the HP g42...

Beans

The trackpad is most likely identical. Is your laptop newly purchased as well?

Beans

Yup, I week old. And it sounds like exactly the same issue, theres a dead spot on the bottom area of the trackpad and I can't get two finger scrolling to work.

I also found the trackpad to be a bit jerky if I accidentally got two fingers on it at the same time. Adding this to xorg.conf seemed to help the jerkiness but not the other issues
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "AlwaysCore" "true"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "SHMConfig" "true"
    #disable edge scroll
    Option "VertEdgeScroll" "1"
    Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "1"
    #other options
    Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "0"
    Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "0"
    Option "PalmDetect" "1"
    Option "LockedDrags" "1"
    Option "LockedDragTimeout" "750"
    EndSection

This is how I added an xorg.conf: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1428788

Have you had any better luck?

Beans

I am whit the same problem but i can't fix the sound
    how did you did it?

Beans

Beans

Something new about the trackpad issue?

In windows 7 multitouch works great... I don't know if that will be possible in ubuntu, but at least i'd be pleased with a normal trackpad without a dead zone.

Thanks in advance

Beans

Smile Re: HP G62 trackpad issue

A few updates on the trackpad:

1. I was able to get two finger scroll working using the instructions here: http://mixeduperic.com/Linux/Hacks/u...touch-pad.html.

My script looks like this
    sleep 30
    synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=1
    synclient HorizTwoFingerScroll=1
    synclient EmulateTwoFingerMinW=5
    synclient EmulateTwoFingerMinZ=48
    synclient VertEdgeScroll=0
    synclient TapButton2=2 TapButton3=3

The 'sleep 30' delays the script by 30 seconds, I found this was necessary when adding it to system> preferences> startup applications. Without the delay the script just wouldn't work and I'd have to run it manually

The 'synclient VertEdgeScroll=0' disables edge scrolling if you want that.

The 'synclient TapButton2=2 TapButton3=3' makes two finger taps a middle click rather than a right click.

I found the trackpad wasn't jumpy anymore after adding this so the changes I had previously made to xorg.conf weren't really necessary for me.

2. Just out of curiosity I downloaded and tried the 10.10 Maverick Meerkat livecd and the entire trackpad works! I can live with 4/5ths of a trackpad for now.

Beans

Oh, thank you!
    I'll try this this evening

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast