Thread: Allowing normal users to upgrade the system?

Beans

Thumbs down Allowing normal users to upgrade the system?

Hi!

Here's what I want to do: install ubuntu on a laptop and then create a normal user so that the user could install the normal upgrades without using the root account (or getting root privileges via sudo).

I know that this can be done by adding the user to the admin group, but this has (at least) two bad side effects:

1. The user can use sudo to gain root access. (And then do everything: install or remove programs...)

2. The update-manager doesn't seem to appear in the panel. (In stead it opens in the background.)

I could easily make a script that downloads and installs the upgrades automaticly, but I'd like to give the user a chance to choose when to do all this. So that it's not done for example when the user is using slow mobile connection.

Any ideas how to do this?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Allowing normal users to upgrade the system?

Nobody has any ideas?

Not even for this:

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfTuxs View Post
    2. The update-manager doesn't seem to appear in the panel. (In stead it opens in the background.)
    (And by background I meant that the update application starts automaticly as minimized.)

Beans

Re: Allowing normal users to upgrade the system?

Answering to myself then, to the 2nd part, which can be done with:

Code:
    gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false
    Still haven't found a way to do the upgrades without adding the user to the admin group...