Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: System freezes at random for no apparent reason...

Beans

Re: System freezes at random for no apparent reason...

my maverick freezes everytime i boot after a long time shutdown, the last time even before the panels appeared on the desktop. but after i reboot (which i have to, because nothing works) it never freezes. Its pretty awkward.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Freeze means to me that no input/ouput is happening. If Ctrl+Alt+F? brings a VT then it isn't frozen ,just not responding. X may have stopped. If I can get a response with Alt+SysRq+b then at least I know the keyboard is responding.

I wonder if those having "freeze" problems are unrelated, or having separate issues.

I was wondering if I just haven't left Maverick running long enough or not putting enough strain on the system to freeze. I now have several programs running, including Rhythmbox(a usual suspect.) I have no indication what so ever. Everything is running smoothly.

I believe the ssh idea is the best idea if your system is really frozen.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a similar issue. Mouse works, but clicking does nothing. My keyboard is fully functional though. I am able to pop up a terminal, sudo pkill gdm, and when my X comes back the mouse is working again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I seem to have the problem fixed on one of my machines. I changed a couple of settings that were wrong in the BIOS and so far no problems today.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    I seem to have the problem fixed on one of my machines. I changed a couple of settings that were wrong in the BIOS and so far no problems today.
    It might help others isolate the issue on their end if you mention what those settings are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It might help others isolate the issue on their end if you mention what those settings are.
    I disabled every feature relating to floppy drives. There is no floppy drive on this machine. The settings for the system time were off by a mile, not sure how this happened but I corrected it. I turned off some odd power management feature that was enabled.

The computer has been on for 14 and a half hours with no problems so far. exploder keeps fingers crossed.

Edit: If you are having problems it is worth the time to look at all of the setting in the BIOS.
    Last edited by exploder; September 13th, 2010 at 01:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cariboo907
    Those of you having lockup/freezing problems may want to have a look at this wiki page, it may help diagnose the problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 23meg
    And this one.
    I have the same problem on one of my PCs. It is a home build with nVIDIA and AMD 64. I am running 10.4 It freezes, I have no mouse or keyboard and have to do a hard restart. Yesterday I was in Skype and during this call I had to reboot 3 times before we gave up. Interestingly, the sound played the last few fractions of a second over and over.

I am not at home on the machine to give more system info or run tests but I was interested to read the threads below and how many have nVidia cards.

I will try these links when I get in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The solution is really simple, stick to a 32 bit kernel.

I had lots of issues with AMD64 and nVidia across several Ubuntu versions.

Finally I gave up and installed Lucid 32 bit.

Things just work so much better on 32 bit. Obviously for some
    workloads 64 bit is needed but for desktop computing just save yourself
    a lot lot of bother and stick to 32 bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello,

I think that this should become a sticky (or something similar), since there are many users facing that problem. It is really sad that is happening also on maverick. Hope it can become trivial soon.

Regards!
    Last edited by Claus7; September 13th, 2010 at 02:46 PM.

Beans

as strange as it may seem i have determined that my maverick only freezes if the last OS i used was Windows. Im dual booting this test computer with Windows 7 64-bit and Maverick 64-bit, and whenever i go to windows the next time i boot maverick it ALWAYS freezes not long after booting X. there's nothing in the syslog and i really can't do anything with the mouse or keyboard.

Does this make sense?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast