Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: System freezes at random for no apparent reason...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

System freezes at random for no apparent reason...

I have a fresh install of Maverick fully updated and the system will freeze at random for no apparent reason. I am using the open source nvidea drivers, nvidea GT 220, ati mainboard with onboard everything. Pretty common hardware.

The system logs are not showing a thing.... The mouse will still move when this happens but the system is completely unresponsive. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a bug report I can add to?

Beans
    Distro

Re: System freezes at random for no apparent reason...

I had this problem with an older version of Ubuntu. I have a custom built computer. It's an AMD 64 with nvidia 8600gt Abit an9 board and 2 gigs of ram. I installed Ubuntu 64bit and it would crash randomly. Sometimes within 20 min. and sometimes it took a few hours. I could never find the cause but once i installed the 32 bit version it never crashed. However, I have since got the latest bios chip for my mobo and now have 64 bit Ubu running with no problems at all. I don't know what the original problem was, but think it may have had something to do with the bios?? I'm not sure. I would try a new download of Ubuntu and reinstalling it. If that don't work, try 32 bit and see if it still crashes. It may be that your hardware is not working well with Ubu 64 bit. I just realized you never said you were using 64 bit... Oh well. That's my best guess.

Beans

The system logs are not showing a thing...
    After one of these freezes grep for syslog for a few of these words, if found then open the syslog and search to put in context

Code:
    cat  /var/log/syslog |grep Dazed
    Code:
    cat  /var/log/syslog |grep Uhhuh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I get similar random freezes except i cant move the mouse.

Im thinking its hardware related but not sure.
    Have 512mb ram, Athlon XP1800+, Soltek board and nVidia AGP 6600 256mb.

I get it on Lucid every now and again too but far more common on Maverick.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    After one of these freezes grep for syslog for a few of these words, if found then open the syslog and search to put in context

Code:
    cat  /var/log/syslog |grep Dazed
    Code:
    cat  /var/log/syslog |grep Uhhuh
    You don't need to pipe a file's contents to grep, grep can take a file as an argument.

Code:
    grep PATTERN /path/to/file

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Longinus00 View Post
    You don't need to pipe a file's contents to grep, grep can take a file as an argument.

Code:
    grep PATTERN /path/to/file
    I think he meant some sarcasm there.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro

I have had this freezing problem in 32 and 64 bit, currently I am running 32 bit. Also, this happens on two computers, the only thing they have in common is NVidea graphics.

I have tested the RAM on both computers, tried proprietary graphics drivers and the open source drivers. The RAM on both machines tests good and graphics drivers do not seem to have anything to do with the problem.

The system logs on both computers contain no clue to what the problem is and there is no specific task that I am aware of triggering this problem.

At the moment it would not do much good to file a bug report because I do not have any real information to provide. Sometimes the computer will work fine all day and sometimes it won't. Both systems are duel core AMD processors and both have lots of RAM installed. I am stumped on this one....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    I have had this freezing problem in 32 and 64 bit, currently I am running 32 bit. Also, this happens on two computers, the only thing they have in common is NVidea graphics.

I have tested the RAM on both computers, tried proprietary graphics drivers and the open source drivers. The RAM on both machines tests good and graphics drivers do not seem to have anything to do with the problem.

The system logs on both computers contain no clue to what the problem is and there is no specific task that I am aware of triggering this problem.

At the moment it would not do much good to file a bug report because I do not have any real information to provide. Sometimes the computer will work fine all day and sometimes it won't. Both systems are duel core AMD processors and both have lots of RAM installed. I am stumped on this one....
    Yeh thats why i havent filed a bug.

Seems like an nVidia or Kernel issue judging by the posts.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Slug71! I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem. I also wonder about the kernel, seems like the problem started showing up again after the last kernel update. Other than the occasional lock ups Maverick looks and runs great.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    Thanks Slug71! I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem. I also wonder about the kernel, seems like the problem started showing up again after the last kernel update. Other than the occasional lock ups Maverick looks and runs great.
    Im glad to see others are experiencing this too. Not sure how to track it though.
    But yeh other than that it does run great.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to track this sucker?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast