Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to limit pen tablet to one display out of two?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to limit pen tablet to one display out of two?

Hi 1script,

My guess is stylus is from a wizardpen section in xorg.conf. You shouldn't use both the xorg.conf and the 70-wizardpen.conf. The "UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U" should be your stylus. Did you try installing the WizarPen driver from DoctorMo's PPA?: https://launchpad.net/~doctormo/+arc...ilter=maverick

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: How to limit pen tablet to one display out of two?

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi 1script,
    My guess is stylus is from a wizardpen section in xorg.conf. You shouldn't use both the xorg.conf and the 70-wizardpen.conf.
    I noticed that when I removed/reinstalled wizardpen, 70-wizardpen.conf was just gone, all by itself so I'm pretty extra sure I have just xorg.conf.

The "UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U" should be your stylus. Did you try installing the WizarPen driver from DoctorMo's PPA?: https://launchpad.net/~doctormo/+arc...ilter=maverick
    Yes, that's where I've installed it from but it was so late at night that I decided to do it again anyways, so I've added the DoctorMO's PPA again (and also removed a bunch of other wizardpen-related repositories that were marked "disabled on upgrade to...") then removed/purged/installed is again until I saw
    Code:
    Setting up xserver-xorg-input-wizardpen (0.7.4-3maverick0)
    I am still experiencing the issue from last night and, upon closer look, I realized that even before I start messing with the transformation matrix the cursor selects things approx 50px up and to the left from the actual position of the cursor on the screen. So, my guess is that a calibration is in order but I cannot find the "calibrate" utility. Anyone knows where it gets put at when you install wizardpen from a repository rather than by a compillation?
    To Build And Overclock!

Beans
    Distro

I'm pretty sure if you remove or comment out the WizardPen entries from xorg.conf and just use the 70-wizardpen.conf, maybe with a few tweaks, your issues will go away. Another WizardPen tablet user elnaurethI just reported he was able to set up his monitors using the 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' method: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post10348699

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: How to limit pen tablet to one display out of two?

I am happy to report that the issue has been solved.

Basically, I had to hunt down and delete all the traces of the tweaks I've done yesterday before upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10 . If you were to approach this task afresh, it will be much easier, so to summarize it, to limit a wizardpen-controlled tablet (any tablet other than Wacom) takes these steps:
    1. Upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10 (or just upgrade Xorg to version 1.9 separately if you're feeling adventurous)
    2. Install the latest stable version of xserver-xorg-input-wizardpen (0.7.4-3maverick0) from DoctorMo's PPA: https://launchpad.net/~doctormo/+arc...ilter=maverick
    3. Run xinput --list to figure out the correct name of your tablet. You should see something like
      Code:
      user@box:~$ xinput --list
      ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
      ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
      ⎜   ↳ UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U                 	id=8	[slave  pointer  (2)]
      ⎜   ↳ Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse         	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
      where "UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U" is the correct name of the tablet. I have two tablets of the same size by different manufacturers (Genius and LaPazz) and they both show up as UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U
    4. If you have a rather simple setup like I do with two monitors of the same resolution, run
      Code:
      xinput set-prop "UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U" --type=float "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 0.5 0 0.5 0 1 0 0 0 1
      as instructed by Favux in the Wacom thread here. If your monitor setup is different (more monitors, different resolution) read more awesome instructions from Favux in the above mentioned thread. Again, substitute "UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U" for your actual tablet name from the previous step.
    5. The xinput set-prop directive is not going to last through restart so create a file with this one line in it
      Code:
      xinput set-prop "UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U" --type=float "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 0.5 0 0.5 0 1 0 0 0 1
      , save it as, say ~/.limit_tablet.sh and then run
      Code:
      chmod 755  ~/.limit_tablet.sh
      . You could then either put it under System->Preferences->Startup Applications (use full path as in sh /home/username/.limit_tablet.sh) to run it every time you reboot or create a shortcut in, say, the Applications->Graphics menu. I made one just below Gimp and Inkscape and start is manually when I need it. Seems to be working for me so far but I may go back to starting it automatically every time I reboot.
    6. Enjoy!

Thanks Favux for the great instructions and references!
    To Build And Overclock!

Beans
    Distro

Great!

Nice summary.

Did you use thread tools above your first post to mark the thread solved?

Beans
    Distro

Great!
    Did you use thread tools above your first post to mark the thread solved?
    I've actually manually added [SOLVED] to the first post's title before I saw your post. Then I decided to go and use the thread tools to mark as "solved" for a good measure, so I hope it'll mark it as such.

Another thing I wanted to add before I let it go: I did not include any sample config files because you don't have to edit any. Everything works with default settings (calibration data of the tablet included) right out of the box, you just need to lookup the proper name of the tablet once and use it in xinput set-prop command and that's the extent of customization in this whole solution.
    To Build And Overclock!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345