Thread: how do i back up my video dvds ?

Beans

how do i back up my video dvds ?

Hi,
    I'm trying to find a good way to rip my dvd collection to .iso files so that i can back them up on my media server. my eventual goal is to be able to play these on my htpc over the network. note before anyone gets pissy: there is no piracy involved, I own all of the dvds that I will be ripping.anyway I've gotten as far as installing all the necessary codecs (i think) off of the medibuntu repos but brasero fails at 97% or so and while k3b does complete the rip, if i try using gnome mplayer, vlc or movieplayer to play the iso all i get is either the FBI warning or at most the dvd menu before the program crashes. anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong or how i can do it better?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: how do i back up my video dvds ?

Whenever I have wanted an .iso copy I just use copy and paste, which has always worked OK. You might be suffering from a bad DVD drive, does it work OK for other things like playback?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you have the storage space, this may be an alternative (my main backup app):

http://www.fsarchiver.org/Main_Page

I boot to this and run the above on a weekly basis for all of my partition level backups (17):

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Hope this helps.

IndyTim / DataMan
    New Build : Core 2 Quad, 8G RAM, 1.75TB Storage ... it's fun!
    GRUB Partition Linux Backups- Ver2 Easy LAMP Install
    Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu User 15015

Beans

I use DVDrip to produce the VOB files and then cat do: xxx-00?.vob > moviename.mpg

I then copy the mpeg files to a usb hard drive for playback on our Viewsonic (linux inside!) VMP-70 media player set top box. This is great for my wife, as she is always waking me up to help her navigate the stupid DVD menus to watch a movie. Now she just navigates to the movie and it just plays.

Works great, upconverts the 720x480 DVD files to 1080i component and they look great on our 65" set. Our DVD player appears to have died, not sure if I will even bother with buying a new one.
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.