Thread: Ubuntu Question

Beans

Ubuntu Question

Hi All,

I'm new to Ubuntu and I have a question regarding mp3 files.

Previously, when using windows I would never download music in fear of getting a virus or something similar through the downloaded music. If I was to download some music now I highly doubt it would be from a trusted source like itunes or amazon, instead it would probably be downloaded from some file sharing application or website. Is there a threat by doing this now on Ubuntu? I'm not even sure if viruses or mal-ware exist on Ubuntu..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Question

There are some cross platform viruses, however ubuntu does not have the same virus problems that Windows is so famous for. THAT SAID, you should still be cautious and the call whether or not to download from a file sharing program is yours. You'll be more or less fine (IMO) if you stick to certain file types (wmv, mp3, etc). That's what I do and I haven't had a problem.

That's just my oppinon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I haven't had any problems with malware and/or viruses since I made the switch to Linux. I run all of my application servers and file sharing servers without virus protection and haven't had a single problem. I also surf the web plenty with my desktop and laptop computers without any sort of virus/malware protection and have never had any issues with that sort of stuff.

You should be fine IMO.

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGauge View Post
    There are some cross platform viruses, however ubuntu does not have the same virus problems that Windows is so famous for. THAT SAID, you should still be cautious and the call whether or not to download from a file sharing program is yours. You'll be more or less fine (IMO) if you stick to certain file types (wmv, mp3, etc). That's what I do and I haven't had a problem.

That's just my oppinon.
    I doubt I would download anything other than your typical mp3. I'm still kind of unsure on what I want to do. It would be really nice just to be able to download a song and not have to worry about these kinds of things.

When I was using Microsoft Windows I knew exactly what to watch for, now I'm not so sure with Ubuntu. I'm assuming it would be a lot easier to have your computer messed up with Ubuntu because someone could easily slip in some code into something and I'll never see it happen. With Windows everything was pretty much straightforward.. guess I need to get use to not having that now.

Basically, from what I read anything is possible and I should just treat downloads as I would on a Windows system. Sucks, kind of thought I would have a bit more freedom with Ubuntu in that aspect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have been using Ubuntu now for on and off 5 years but, really only the last two anything like seriously full time. I have learnt in all that time that viruses are apparently not interested in Linux in general. I have downloaded music, video and all sorts of files without problem.
    You can always run the Free AVG Linux version if you like.
    My wife has to use Windows... Ahem - - - due to the demands of her small busuness and the finance industry and she uses AVG on Windows and has no problem with AVG. Indeed I have installed AVG at work when having problems using Sophos (big time industry strength anti-virus).

So, the choice is there. It will do no harm to install and use AVG Free on Linux if you want peace of mind and there are Malware programs but, you'd be better of behind a Firewall if you are paranoid about it.

I personally run Ubuntu Jaunty on an old machine and Ultimate Edition 2.6 on this laptop because it has some power and you need it with the newer Linuxes.
    I find that Ultimate Edition (this is not Ubuntu but, a variant of) does everything in need and is preloaded with heaps and heaps of programs, mostly geared toward music and video and I have had no problems doing anything with music or video using it compared with the odd codec problem that I always seemed to have with straight Ubuntu. Nothing against Ubuntu here but, sometimes the odd codec has to be installed manually.
    So, if you want to try the Ultimate Edition route you will need a processor with a bit of speed and some decent RAM along with a good DVD reader/writer as the install disc is a DVD size of 2. something Gigabytes the last time I looked. The system will take about as long to load as a Windows system but, the rewards are far greater if you like nice desktops to look at and nice movements with windows and so on. It is just nice to use full stop. Compared with this Windows is very boring.
    Good luck and have fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Crizzie View Post
    I doubt I would download anything other than your typical mp3. I'm still kind of unsure on what I want to do. It would be really nice just to be able to download a song and not have to worry about these kinds of things.

When I was using Microsoft Windows I knew exactly what to watch for, now I'm not so sure with Ubuntu. I'm assuming it would be a lot easier to have your computer messed up with Ubuntu because someone could easily slip in some code into something and I'll never see it happen. With Windows everything was pretty much straightforward.. guess I need to get use to not having that now.

Basically, from what I read anything is possible and I should just treat downloads as I would on a Windows system. Sucks, kind of thought I would have a bit more freedom with Ubuntu in that aspect.
    You do Just as there are viruses for mac there are viruses for ubuntu. That said, compared to windows where people seem to be able to stuff viruses into everything and anything, it's much harder to do that to something like ubuntu.

If you're downloading stuff like mp3's wav, wmv, avi...the normal files that you felt safe chancing on windows, you're going to be fine. If you download (from bittorrent or w/e) and try to install some sketchy file with like half a dozen file extensions you don't recognize; that's where you'll start to run into some problems.

For what it sounds like you want to do, you'll be fine.