Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easier package installing UI idea. Comments, please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Easier package installing UI idea. Comments, please

How would someone install an application that doesn't appear under the listed "Accessories, Games, ...". Like Virtualbox which installs under System Tools.

Quote Originally Posted by robert shearer View Post
    People coming from other O.S associate 'install' with $$$.
    So you need something gentler and inviting, maybe like 'explore' ?.
    Who?
    Most of the people that would buy software would have already bought it by the time the installation instructions came up.
    Even if you're talking about a digital download, I've never seen it labeled 'install', always something like 'buy' or 'purchase'.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Easier package installing UI idea. Comments, please

I really like this idea.

I'm relatively new to ubuntu and at first glance, "software centre" does sound a bit like "app store"

I've got nothing against deep menus, just as long as they don't get ridiculously excessive.
    Also, why not replace "more" (as seen 3rd screenshot) with "find more"
    Last edited by fibrebiz; September 12th, 2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Hi, I'm new here

...Please don't hurt me.

Beans

Re: Package installing UI idea

IMO that is ever stupid suggestion )))

Beans

Smile Re: Easier package installing UI idea. Comments, please

Quote Originally Posted by fibrebiz View Post
    I really like this idea.
    I'm relatively new to ubuntu and at first glance, "software centre" does sound a bit like "app store"

I've got nothing against deep menus, just as long as they don't get ridiculously excessive. Also, why not replace "more" (as seen 3rd screenshot) with "find more"
    "Find more" sounds good, fibrebiz! You seem to get this because you're new or you're blessed with a great brain

I feel the same that it'd be the best if the software was where it's supposed to be found (even if it's not possibly installed).

Deep menus are not defaultly considered as bad design any more. The same is true with web shops etc: Deep menus are a good way to categorize things properly (if they are neccessary because of vast amount of products). There's no rule any more that all pages should be reached with 3 clicks but the categorization must be made well.

It's totally useless to switch the UI when user is searching the right software even if we're extremely used to it. The software browsing+installing shouldn't be a big thing that must have some kind of center. Just browse & click & use.

When you change the desktop background the link to install more backgrounds is just there. It'd be simply wrong if the link was somewhere else. It's the same thing when installing software.

Wake up and notice the software center is very heavy & complicated way to install new software although every operating system in the world works like it.

Ubuntu rules!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Easier package installing UI idea

Quote Originally Posted by viljun View Post
    ... or would it be better than now if you clicked "more" here ...

... you got here:

This is what I was thinking would be the initial idea, and I agree it could be okay. However, I think what we have now is quite fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Easier package installing UI idea

it wouldn't work in practice imo. how would you deal with empty categories that thus dont show, not to mention the categories arent entirely logical as they are, most people looking for a text editor would click "More" in office, not in accessories where all the text editors install for example.
    Jeremy Clarkson - "A Dazzling Hero of Political Incorrectness"
    My LastFM profile
    want to Give each GTK program its own theme? well look Here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12