Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Ubuntu 10.04 boots to command line!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Exclamation Help! Ubuntu 10.04 boots to command line!

When my computer boots Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, it goes straight to the command line. It then prompts me for me login. Once I log in, I enter this command:

Code:
     startx
    My computer then goes to a black screen and stays there.

Here is a video of the whole sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OADFZ1mocCY

Eventually, I would love for my computer to boot straight to the GUI. However, for now, I just want to get past the black screen.

Please help. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help! Ubuntu 10.04 boots to command line!

Sounds like you have an incorrect driver for your video card. Try holding the shift key during the boot phase. this should take you to the grub menu. From there select recovery mode (normally one down) and hit enter. You should boot into a menu, one option being to reconfigure your graphics. Try that and see where you get.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sony Vaio has a Nvidia and Intel graphics card, so called "Speed" and "Stamina" modes. At least some of those PCs.
    joona@Joona-PC:~$man girls
    No manual entry for girls ..

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try getting to the boot editor - like Peter09 said -
    Try holding the shift key during the boot phase. this should take you to the grub menu
    However, instead of choosing recovery mode, follow the screen and edit the normal boot line - you should try adding nomodeset to the boot line and then booting. If this works, we can give you instructions for making it permanent.

Dave

Beans
    Distro

I'm sorry anewguy, I'm VERY new to this. How do I add something to the boot line? Can I do that from the command line? I hope so... because that's the only place I can go.

What would the EXACT command be? Should I just type this?:

Code:
     nomodeset

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When you have the boot menu on screen, press the "e" key to enter edit mode. The display will show several lines, one of which begins with "kernel" or "linux" (one was the older version and the other the newer; I don't remember which is which and cannot check while on line). Arrow down to that line, press the "end" key to go to the end of the line, and type
    Code:
    " nomodeset"
    to add it as the last word on the line. Then press ctrl-x (both keys at the same time) to boot with the changed line.

This is a temporary fix to see if that will cure the problem. Let us know what happens; if it does fix it we can then walk you through making it permanent, and if it does not we can suggest other possible cures.

Good luck and welcome to Ubuntu!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro

JKyle,
    I did exactly what you said. I hit "e" from the GRUB and it took me into edit mode. I arrowed down to the linux line you spoke of. Then I hit end and typed this:

Code:
     " nomodeset"
    *notice the space before "nomodeset" to separate it from the rest of the line

I then hit ctrl + x

My computer then "booted" if you could call it that. It was like a half boot. It didn't power off or anything. It again went straight to the command line, only this time, it looks like safe mode. Font is bigger, the splash screen looks all pixelated etc.

From this new safe-like command line, I typed in my login and the command:

Code:
     startx
    Again nothing happened. It just went straight to a black screen still.

Basically this process yields the same results with larger font.

Am I doing something wrong? Any other suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No, you didn't do anything wrong. This simply means that the "nomodeset" option didn't fix your problem.

The next thing to try is the recovery mode. Get to the boot menu screen but this time arrow down to the recovery line, usually the second line on the screen, and hit Enter. This should get you a different menu that will list a number of things you can do. One of them should be to fix video; choose that one with the arrow keys, and then hit Enter.

It may, or may not, solve the problem. Either way let us know what happens. And don't get too frustrated by these "failures" because each of them narrows down the search for the real cure. What you are going through happens all too often these days; there are so many different combinations of video out there that it's impossible to test against all of them, and sometimes fixing a problem for one person's system can cause new problems in other systems. However a systematic troubleshooting process usually gets to the bottom of things fairly quickly. The good news is that once we find the cause and lead you to a permanent fix, that fix should last until some future upgrade introduces a new gremlin.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro

Jkyle, let me just say right now, that you rock. Not because you've helped me figure this out (yet), but because you're willing to help. When diving into Linux, that's important, as there is no real "customer support." You're the man.

Now... I tried what you suggested. I booted my computer in Ubuntu Recovery mode and did in fact find this menu, where I should be able to reconfigure my graphics. However, when I try to do so. Nothing happens. I select the reconfigure graphics box, click "ok" and then nothing happens. The screen stays exactly where it is.

I have created a photo album of the sequence of 4 screens and 4 different menus that appear. I always get stuck on the 4th screen.

Here is the link to the album:
    http://ubuntuhelp.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Help! Ubuntu 10.04 boots to command line!

When the system boots, and you are at the command line, please do the following:

lspci <press enter> If you don't know, we are asking Ubuntu to list "ls" all devices it knows about on the PCI "pci" bus. The video adapter being used by your system will show in that output.

Post the output of that back here so we can see which video adapter you are using. From there, we can look at guiding you through getting this set up so you can run X.

If you are more ambitious, you can check the X log after you try startx and it fails:

- again in the command line:

ls /var/log/X*.* <press enter>

You should see something similar to (I'm not in Ubuntu right now so I can't give the exact name) Xorg-0.log or some such thing.

Using the name identified above:

cat /var/log/xxxx | more <press enter> where xxxx is the file name determined above. This will dump the file to the terminal screen and you can use "Enter" to scroll a line, or use the space bar to scroll a page down (if I'm remembering correctly). You want what will be close to the end of the file - you should see an error, denoted by "***" that will give some text explaining why X didn't start. If you do this, please also post that back here so we can see it.

Dave

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast