Thread: Permission denied errors when executing a file on a different hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Permission denied errors when executing a file on a different hard drive

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 beta yesterday and most of it is working very well. However, I ran into a problem with permissions today.

I have a HDD containing my home folder and a HDD containing my data folder. The HDD with the data folder is mounted on /media/data/data_1.

Code:
    jensen@jensen-desktop:~$ ll /media/data/ | grep data_1
    drwxrwxrwx  8 jensen jensen 4.0K 2010-09-07 23:10 data_1/
    Inside that data_1 folder I have a folder called Downloads which I mounted to the Downloads folder in my home directory. This is done in the same way I did it on 10.04 and 9.10.

From /etc/fstab:
    Code:
    /media/data/data_1/Downloads /home/jensen/Downloads none user,bind 0 0
    When I tried to install VMWare this morning I got a permission denied error:
    Code:
    jensen@jensen-desktop:~/Downloads/internet$ ./VMware-Workstation-Full-7.1.1-282343.x86_64.bundle 
    bash: ./VMware-Workstation-Full-7.1.1-282343.x86_64.bundle: Permission denied
    I made sure I had set a+x rights on the file, tried executing it as root but the permission error stayed. When I copy that same file to my Desktop folder I can perfectly execute it. When it's located on the other hard drive I can't. I tried several command line scripts and they all work when I execute them from my OS hard drive, but not from another hard drive. How can I fix that?

I must be overlooking something, but I can't figure out what so any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Permission denied errors when executing a file on a different hard drive

Instead of mounting your /media/data/data_1/Downloads folder to /home/jensen/Downloads in fstab, have you tried making /home/jensen/Downloads a link to /media/data/data_1/Downloads?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Permission denied errors when executing a file on a different hard drive

No, I did not think of that. But it works though. Thanks.