Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Resizing the wubi partition in lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Resizing the wubi partition in lucid

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    wubi is a tool and it has it's merits.

As I said to bcbc some time ago, sure it is easy for you or I to resize these disks, but wubi is targeting people who want to "try" Ubuntu without partitioning their hard drives or installing GRUB.

IMO, once the trial is over, one needs to then decide what to do in the long run.

The options are:

1. Do a standard install. It is "easy" to migrate your customizations (you can generate a list of installed packages and back up /home).

2. Learn to manage a loop mount.
    Agreed. (and I'd even be willing to concede at this point that the "standard" install may be the better option for most users after the trial period and is certainly the better supported option at this time)

But resizing is easy now (and should have been back then, I was mainly just surprised at the difficulty of the solutions suggested - indicating there need to be better guides for this stuff, so I was just trying to get a little information out there about how to easily do this stuff, I've been considering writing a few guides based on some of my experiences)

It really is just a matter of booting a live CD/USB and then a single command to check the filesystem and then a single command to resize it. You'd probably use a live CD/USB to resize your partitions in a standard install anyway, so I don't see much difference in the level of difficulty on this point at this time, other than the lack of a graphical tool like GParted. (though an even more advanced user might just be using LVM to manage logical partitions). Overall maintenance and support may still weigh toward using a standard install though.

So I actually agree and appreciate your level-headedness on this, bodhi.zazen.

~Troop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper_Max View Post
    But resizing is easy now (and should have been back then, I was mainly just surprised at the difficulty of the solutions suggested - indicating there need to be better guides for this stuff, so I was just trying to get a little information out there about how to easily do this stuff, I've been considering writing a few guides based on some of my experiences)
    Post a guide or contribute to the Ubuntu wiki, I would reference such a guide.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the info Trooper_Max.

I was aware there was a dynamic resize option but thought it was less reliable. I think as long as they backup first, this seems the easiest solution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123