Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 stuck in low-res graphics mode after messing with nvidia drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu 10.04 stuck in low-res graphics mode after messing with nvidia drivers

Hi, would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix the following;

Brief summary; After messing about with the nvidia drivers in ubuntu 10.04, I’m now stuck in low graphics mode and can’t get back to normal graphics.

I’ve spent 2 solid days trawling the forums and have found several similar threads but they all differed on key points like they were booting from a CD, or were using a different OS. I tried several of the similar suggestions but nothing worked. I’m a complete noobie to linux so need idiot-proof explanations please.

More detail; Last week I got a zotac zbox hd-id11 and installed ubuntu 10.04 as the only OS. Installed xbmc and everything was working fine. However, the user manual for the zbox says “before you can make full use of the features of the zbox you need to update the drivers”, and they include a CD of drivers, which isn’t very helpful because a) its only valid for windows and b) I don’t have a CD drive installed and don’t have an external one either. But I was bugged by the idea that perhaps it would work even better if I updated the drivers.

So after trawling the web for instructions on how to do it, I came across the following;
    http://www.contentwhores.com/wordpress/?page_id=484
    which seemed perfect because they describe almost exactly the same hardware setup (except I don’t have an SSD). So I followed the instructions for “updating the drivers and patches”, skipped the bit about “enabling TRIM support for your SSD” and followed the instructions under “configuring the video”. After the final reboot, I got a message saying something about there being no graphics driver (sorry, I can’t remember the exact message, I’ve messed about with it so much since then) and did I want to start in low graphics mode. I clicked OK, then spent the last 2 days trying to fix it but just can’t get it back to normal.

Things I’ve tried;
    1) I tried undoing what I’d done by uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia drivers several times via the hardware drivers screen, and using synaptic package manager. The hardware drivers screen tells me that “nvidia-current is activated but not in use”. I don’t know how to make it be in use.

2) I followed some instructions to update the nvidia drivers via the terminal, and also to reinstall ‘nouveau’.

3) The nvidia configurations page accessed from the admin menu jumps around all over the place when I try to click on things, and the highest option it has for setting the resolution is 600 x 400.

The strange thing is, at one point when I tried to start xbmc, I got the error message that xbmc needs a graphics driver that supports 3D, and couldn’t run without one. But the above fixes have obviously fixed something because xbmc now starts fine, and when I watch a movie using xbmc, the picture is ok (I don’t think its any different from before I messed with the drivers). But the rest of ubuntu is in permanent low-res mode, with big chunky letters and windows that don’t fit on the screen etc. This makes me think that the graphics driver IS working, but something’s wrong with the settings in ubuntu. I think I need a way of telling ubuntu to stop booting in low graphics mode, or to start using the nvidia driver????

Hope this gives enough detail for somebody to suggest a solution. Obligatory system info below. Many thanks.

Zotac Zbox HD-ID11
    NVIDIA ION2 chipset
    Intel ATOM D510 processor
    WD scorpio blue 2.5” 500GB HDD
    Kingston value DDR2 RAM 2GB
    Ubuntu 10.04
    Connected to LCD TV via VGA cable and audio-out.
    (hope this covers everything, please ask if I left something out)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 stuck in low-res graphics mode after messing with nvidia drivers

that seems like a solid guide, perhaps the new kernel is giving you trouble. Reboot the computer, and as soon as the screen goes black (after POST and all that, directly before the Ubuntu logo shows up) Start hitting <shift>. Keep tapping it until the GRUB menu pops up. You should see a long list of "Ubuntu Linux 2.6.35-25-generic" or something similar. Hit the down arrow key twice, and then hit enter. Let me know if it works then.
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 stuck in low-res graphics mode after messing with nvidia drivers

Hi, thanks for responding so quickly. Well, hitting shift while its rebooting doesn't do anything so I tried delete instead; that got me to a list of 4 options including ubuntu linux generic etc. Hitting the down arrow twice gets me to the third option, which is a memory test. Is that right? Its running now, but seems to be taking a while (luckily i have the laptop as an alternative).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Uhura View Post
    Hi, thanks for responding so quickly. Well, hitting shift while its rebooting doesn't do anything so I tried delete instead; that got me to a list of 4 options including ubuntu linux generic etc. Hitting the down arrow twice gets me to the third option, which is a memory test. Is that right? Its running now, but seems to be taking a while (luckily i have the laptop as an alternative).
    no, not the memory test. Just turn the pc off via the power button to cancel that. Strange, you should have several kernel versions installed. Using synaptic, uninstall the 4 kernel .debs that the guide had you install. Dont reboot. Then, install the "linux" package in synaptic, and make sure that "linux-headers-generic" and "linux-image-generic" are all installed. Double check that you have a kernel install, you should have a package "linux-image-2.6.32-somenumber-generic" installed. Make sure that it is! Then open a terminal and do "sudo update-grub". It should say "Found linux image" on the command line. make sure that it does, wouldn't want to reboot without a kernel. Reboot, and see if the nvidia driver is working.
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nerdy_kid View Post
    Using synaptic, uninstall the 4 kernel .debs that the guide had you install. .
    I don't think I actually installed the 4 kernel .debs, because they were in the "updating the kernel and enabling TRIM support for your SSD" section of the guide, and the guide says " If you’re using a standard hard disk then you can skip this section and go straight to ‘Configuring the video’", which I did. So if I'm right in thinking that's what youre talking about, then I didn't install any kernels.

Its really hard to do anything in synaptic because the window hops around all over the place whenever I try to click on anything, but linux headers generic and linux image generic are both installed. Linux-image-2.6.32-28-generic is also installed. I did sudo update-grub and got 'found linux image' like you said. I restarted, but it hasn't made any difference to the graphics. nvidia_current is still showing up as 'activated but not currently in use'.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Uhura View Post
    I don't think I actually installed the 4 kernel .debs, because they were in the "updating the kernel and enabling TRIM support for your SSD" section of the guide, and the guide says " If you’re using a standard hard disk then you can skip this section and go straight to ‘Configuring the video’", which I did. So if I'm right in thinking that's what youre talking about, then I didn't install any kernels.

Its really hard to do anything in synaptic because the window hops around all over the place whenever I try to click on anything, but linux headers generic and linux image generic are both installed. Linux-image-2.6.32-28-generic is also installed. I did sudo update-grub and got 'found linux image' like you said. I restarted, but it hasn't made any difference to the graphics. nvidia_current is still showing up as 'activated but not currently in use'.
    ok, you mentioned the "enabling TRIM support for your SSD" in your first post so I thought you did it.

Please post /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.1.log, if they are too big to upload them pastebin them: http://pastebin.com/
    Also, please post the resulting ~/modprobe.zip file:
    Code:
    zip ~/modprobe.zip -r /etc/modprobe.d
    and lastly, please post the output of
    Code:
    lsmod
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Okay, here's the pastebin links:
    http://pastebin.com/ckC4crJB
    http://pastebin.com/qgge0Myh

No idea how to post the modprobe.zip file. I have a file called modprobe.d? Is that it? How do I post it? I didn't seem half as thick on windows!!!

The results of the other two are below:

zip ~/modprobe.zip -r /etc/modprobe.d
    adding: etc/modprobe.d/ (stored 0%)
    adding: etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss.conf (deflated 70%)
    adding: etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf (deflated 73%)
    adding: etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf (deflated 60%)
    adding: etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-firewire.conf (deflated 44%)
    adding: etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (deflated 50%)
    adding: etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath_pci.conf (deflated 27%)
    adding: etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf (deflated 46%)
    adding: etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-watchdog.conf (deflated 68%)
    adding: etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem.conf (deflated 35%)
    adding: etc/modprobe.d/libpisock9.conf (stored 0%)

lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    aes_i586 7268 1
    aes_generic 26863 1 aes_i586
    binfmt_misc 6587 1
    ppdev 5259 0
    snd_hda_codec_realtek 203408 1
    snd_hda_intel 22005 2
    arc4 1153 2
    snd_hda_codec 74201 2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
    snd_hwdep 5412 1 snd_hda_codec
    snd_pcm_oss 35308 0
    snd_mixer_oss 13746 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_pcm 70694 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
    snd_seq_dummy 1338 0
    snd_seq_oss 26722 0
    snd_seq_midi 4557 0
    snd_rawmidi 19056 1 snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq_midi_event 6003 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq 47263 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
    fbcon 35102 71
    tileblit 2031 1 fbcon
    ath9k 306138 0
    font 7557 1 fbcon
    bitblit 4707 1 fbcon
    joydev 8740 0
    snd_timer 19098 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
    snd_seq_device 5700 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
    nvidia 9961216 38
    psmouse 63245 0
    mac80211 205402 1 ath9k
    ath 7611 1 ath9k
    intel_agp 24375 0
    softcursor 1189 1 bitblit
    usbhid 36110 0
    hid 67064 1 usbhid
    serio_raw 3978 0
    snd 54180 16 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec, snd_hwdep,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_se q_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
    cfg80211 126528 3 ath9k,mac80211,ath
    vga16fb 11385 1
    vgastate 8961 1 vga16fb
    agpgart 31724 2 nvidia,intel_agp
    led_class 2864 1 ath9k
    soundcore 6620 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 7076 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    lp 7028 0
    parport 32635 2 ppdev,lp
    r8169 34108 0
    mii 4381 1 r8169
    Last edited by Uhura; March 1st, 2011 at 09:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Last edited by Uhura; March 1st, 2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: deleted

Beans
    Distro

ok, so currently your nvidia driver 195.36.24 is being loaded by the kernel, and X11 is picking it up as well. So, are you sure that that the driver is not "working"? Try running

Code:
    nvidia-settings
    That should give you access to the NVIDIA driver's settings, if it is loaded, which it looks like it is. Check your resolution while you are in there, make sure it is what you want.

Other then that, run
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    (dont worry if the first command throws an error)

and reboot. From the log files and outputs you posted, it looks like everything is working.

If you still want to post the modprobe.zip file, reply to this thread, and before you submit your message scroll down to "Additional Options" and hit manage attachments. Then choose the file "modprobe.zip" in your Home folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Code:
    [QUOTE=nerdy_kid;10510024]ok, so currently your nvidia driver 195.36.24 is being loaded by the kernel, and X11 is picking it up as well.  So, are you sure that that the driver is not "working"?  Try running 

Code:
    nvidia-settings
    That should give you access to the NVIDIA driver's settings, if it is loaded, which it looks like it is. Check your resolution while you are in there, make sure it is what you want.
    Well, yes, its like I said, when I run xbmc, the picture seems fine. Its just everything else in ubuntu that's low res. The nvidia xserver settings , under server display configuration, only has the options of auto, 640x480, or 320x240. Nothing else.

Code:
    Other then that, run

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    (dont worry if the first command throws an error) and reboot. From the log files and outputs you posted, it looks like everything is working.
    One of the times I rebooted, I was given the option to boot in low res mode, or safe graphics mode or whatever, and it just seems to have stuck on that option.
    Is there any way to tell ubuntu to boot in normal graphics mode? Or perhaps from BIOS?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast