Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't access "examples" folder in lubuntu desktop environment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I can't access "examples" folder in lubuntu desktop environment

Hi! I have ubuntu 10.04 installed as dual boot alongside win7 starter. I also have lubuntu desktop environment installed on lucid.

In Gnome i am able to access the examples folder containing sample video, music, .ppt files, documents, etc. about ubuntu.

But when I'm on the lubuntu and lubuntu netbook environment and I go to pcman file manager to try and access the examples folder I get the error window that says "command not found".

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you

Beans

Re: I can't access "examples" folder in lubuntu desktop environment

In what way are you trying to access this folder?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by llamabr View Post
    In what way are you trying to access this folder?
    Hi! When I go to lubuntu desktop environment I click on the PCman file manager icon on the lower left of the screen. Folders appear which include desktop, documents, downloads, music, pictures etc. including the examples folder i mentioned.

I double click on the examples folder and I get the error message.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mr.xulu View Post
    Hi! When I go to lubuntu desktop environment I click on the PCman file manager icon on the lower left of the screen. Folders appear which include desktop, documents, downloads, music, pictures etc. including the examples folder i mentioned.

I double click on the examples folder and I get the error message.

Thanks
    Can you access any other folders just fine? I use PCmanFM on an Openbox environment, and I have never seen such an error message. You could access all those folders through nautilus in GNOME, right?
    "I use a Unix based OS, therefore I get laid about as often as I reboot."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Windows Nerd View Post
    Can you access any other folders just fine? I use PCmanFM on an Openbox environment, and I have never seen such an error message. You could access all those folders through nautilus in GNOME, right?

Hi! Yes I can access all the other folders in lubuntu environment just fine except that examples folder.

In GNOME i can access the examples folder just fine.

I've also installed the pure lubuntu 10.04 on live usb to try out opening the same examples folder. It didn't work either.

But instead of an error message, what happens is PCman file manager will close and then nothing happens any further.

Could it be that since lubuntu is not yet an official release that the ability to open the examples folder is not supported yet since these are official presentations about ubuntu?

Thanks
    Last edited by mr.xulu; September 9th, 2010 at 09:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

But instead of an error message, what happens is PCman file manager will close and then nothing happens any further.

Could it be that since lubuntu is not yet an official release that the ability to open the examples folder is not supported yet since these are official presentations about ubuntu?

Thanks
    Could you launch your file manager from the command line with:

Code:
    pcmanfm
    And then try and open your examples folder. If you see an error message pop up in your terminal (or anything at all), could you please post it here.

Usually error messages show up when you launch a program from the terminal that you would not otherwise see.

Why are you so caught up about your examples folder? I usually delete it right after a fresh install. Did you save something important in there or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Windows Nerd View Post
    Could you launch your file manager from the command line with:

Code:
    pcmanfm
    Why are you so caught up about your examples folder? I usually delete it right after a fresh install. Did you save something important in there or something?

Hi! I'll try thru terminal.

It's not so much the contents of the examples folder, since it's alright that i can open it in gnome, but i'm concerned that if it happens to other (really important) folders in the future and that i woudn't be able to open folders in any environment i'd like to learn how to fix it.

Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi! I'll try thru terminal.

It's not so much the contents of the examples folder, since it's alright that i can open it in gnome, but i'm concerned that if it happens to other (really important) folders in the future and that i woudn't be able to open folders in any environment i'd like to learn how to fix it.

Thanks for the help!
    So, did you see any errors pop up in the terminal when you tried to open it via pcmanfm?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi! Ya still wouldn't open and the same error message pops up. But I can live with it for now if i can't fix it. Just praying it doesn't happen to my work folders as I like the lubuntu environment.

Thanks
    Last edited by mr.xulu; September 10th, 2010 at 05:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi! Ya still wouldn't open and the same error message pops up. But I can live with it for now if i can't fix it. Just praying it doesn't happen to my work folders as I like the lubuntu environment.

Thanks
    So, what's the error message?

Hint: Telling me *may* help me solve your problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast