Thread: feature request: add option to allow hibernate and suppend when loged out

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

feature request: add option to allow hibernate and suppend when loged out

The other day somebody sat next to me whom I don't feel like entering in my password around, and I wanted to take my computer elsewhere. If I put my computer in my backpack while it's running, my computer will get hot, and the batteries will drain. So I'd like to put my computer in hibernate, or suspend mode, but my computer was already locked, and I couldn't hibernate or suspend without logging in, but I didn't want to enter my password around this guy so I could hibernate or suspend, so I was stuck.

I know there are reasons to keep things the way they are, (like maybe a server environment, etc...) and maybe it should default the way it is now, but I'd like the option to add the ability to hibernate and/or suspend when logged out, at the log in screen and/or a locked screen, without having to use a password. (be sure to still ask for password to use the computer afterwards)
    One of my most wanted bugs [in K/Ubuntu, ...] I'd like fixed is that
    GNOME save as / open dialogs don't have a way to copy paths to the clipboard.
    p.s.
    Recovery console should be renamed performance gaming console

Beans

Re: feature request: add option to allow hibernate and suppend when loged out

Doesn't it suspend when you close the lid or did you turn that feature off?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This really has nothing to do with securiy. Moved to General Help

For feature request try Brainstorm or become a member of the ubuntu-devel mailing list.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    Yeah, same here mine suspends.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

On the Gnome desktop, there is a toolbar 'button' at the bottom-right of the log in screen which has the suspend option. I'm not familiar with KDE.

Beans
    Distro

Didn't think of that...
    Just looked at my 'System Settings' 'Power Management', and it's set to 'Do Nothing' 'When laptop lid is closed'
    I set the option to 'Do Nothing' so I could close the lid, and think for a few seconds without the display distracting me. There could be an added option of time delay before locking a computer with suspend. (I could imagine there being a security issue that users might not think about, if a time delay before locking option was added to hibernate)

I still think it might be a good idea to add the ability to add hibernate and suspend to the GUI for the log-in and for the unlock screens. Maybe the option to add this should be with each 'Power Management' 'Edit Profiles' profile?

Just tied the options 'Turn Off Screen', and 'Lock Screen', they both require passwords to start using the computer again, except 'Turn Off Screen' turns off the display too. What would be the purpose having the option to leave the display on with the laptop lid closed be? (external monitors?) Maybe the current option 'Turn Off Screen' should be called 'Turn Off Screen and Lock', and an option that will really is just 'Turn Off Screen' be added?

p.s.

Question: do batteries charge faster when the computer is on a power saving mode vs a performance mode, if so...
    For those who want maximum battery life, with minimal performance loss.
    'Profile Assignment' 'When AC Adaptor is plugged in' should replaced with two options, 'When Plugged in and Charging Installed Batteries' (aka batteries not at 100%...) and 'On AC with Installed Battery(ies) Fully Charged'. If not, maybe saying that batteries would charge at the same speed either way' could be added to the 'help'
    Last edited by BryanFRitt; September 8th, 2010 at 02:40 AM.
    p.s.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BryanFRitt View Post
    I still think it might be a good idea to add the ability to add hibernate and suspend to the GUI for the log-in and for the unlock screens.
    Suspend is there on the login screen on mine, I suspect hibernate is missing because I have no swap to hibernate to.

It's not an option on the unlock screen but pressing the switch user button takes me to the login screen which does have it.

This is on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro

Suspend is there on the login screen on mine, I suspect hibernate is missing because I have no swap to hibernate to.

It's not an option on the unlock screen but pressing the switch user button takes me to the login screen which does have it.

This is on Ubuntu 10.04
    On KUbuntu 10.04 Suspend/Hibernate option isn't on any of those screens(login/unlock/switch user)

I've read somewhere there's a way to hibernate without a swap partition*. I've got my computer set up to hibernate using a swap partition, and haven't tried the way that doesn't require a swap partition.

*I think the required swap partition (or free space for other method) size is AT LEAST the size of RAM. Example: For my system with 4GiB of RAM I've got my swap partition size set to 4GiB+256MiB or approx 4360MiB of swap space.
    Last edited by BryanFRitt; September 10th, 2010 at 02:30 AM. Reason: replaced the word RAM with swap space.
    p.s.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BryanFRitt View Post
    *I think the required swap partition (or free space for other method) size is AT LEAST the size of RAM. Example: For my system with 4GiB of RAM I've got my swap partition size set to 4GiB+256MiB or approx 4360MiB of RAM.
    I have 2GB of RAM and an 8GB SSD. That's why I have no swap or other space set aside to hibernate. It's a feature I'm happy to live without.

Beans
    Distro

This is on Ubuntu 10.04
    Sounds like this issue might be a KDE issue. How can I change this thread from '[all variants]' to '[KUbuntu]'?
    p.s.