Thread: Throttling download speed in nautilus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Throttling download speed in nautilus

Whenever I download something from a friend's FTP-server, nautilus utilizes all the available bandwith. This is logical of course, but sometimes i would like to be able to throttle the download rate a bit, as anyone using my internet connection--including me--will experience slowness because of the download.

As said, this behaviour is to be expected while downloading something, but I can't seem to find a way to throttle the transfer speed with nautilus. Does something like this already exist (googling revealed nothing for me )?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Throttling download speed in nautilus

I don't know if this can be done with Nautilus.

Speeds can be throttled by using your router, assuming you have a router? Most new ones have a section under an "advanced" tab that allows you to throttle P2P or other traffic and give priority to other traffic. That might help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey,
    Thanks for your reply. This would indeed reduce the problem of not being able to use the rest of the worldwide tubes, but a throttle is not something I always want on any specific type of traffic. My goal is more of 'spur of the moment' solution, where I would be able to throttle my download at a moment I need to. Hence the reason I'm looking for a solution in nautilus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, you could always just go to your router page and bookmark the section where the throttling would occur - visit it using your browser and enable before, then disable after. BTW, a quick way of logging in to your router is by prefixing usernameass@routerip, then bookmarking that so you don't have to login all the time. Unless you have a shared PC of course.

This is just a quick fix, I'm sure one of the genii will come along with a solution