Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Mint "Debian" Edition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Linux Mint "Debian" Edition

I am currently a Linux Mint user for one reason; I wanted an OS that "just works" and Ubuntu 10.04 failed me. Linux Mint 9 has no issues that Lucid had, so essentially I'm running a patched version of Ubuntu.

I noticed today a new edition of Mint was released called LMDE; Linux Mint Debian Edition, based on the Debian Testing branch but "Mintified" with the same extras that Mint applied to Ubuntu's base.

For me, this might be exactly what I need. I want an easy to use, out of the box OS. It's not that I can't tinker/fix stuff, it's that I shouldn't have to spend time doing so on a production machine. Recent releases of Ubuntu have been failing me. I haven't used Ubuntu very much over the last year or so; mostly OpenSUSE or Mint. Stuff that worked for years on Ubuntu stopped working on Karmic/Lucid (webcams, mic, multimedia keys, a remote, nvidia graphics overheats among many other things) and for some reason Mint didn't have any of those problems despite being based on the same releases of Ubuntu that drove me insane.

If LMDE works out well enough for me, I'll probably switch over. I'm currently trying it in VirtualBox and so far so good.

I'm excited to see where this goes. What about you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Linux Mint "Debian" Edition

Why not just stick with the version of Ubuntu that works?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu just gets better for me, nothing has failed or gotten worse. And installing and setup for codecs and other software that Mint includes takes minutes.

The only reason I see to move away from Ubuntu is the inclusion of all the extra social media applications and the customization of the panels that the devs do to gnome. It can get a bit confusing if you use various Gnome distros and the menus are the same except for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    Why not just stick with the version of Ubuntu that works?
    Because I don't want to be using outdated software for months (or years) until a release finally works for me

Debian Testing is experimental, but not as bleeding edge. New stuff and lots of bugfixes. That + Mint should be interesting.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ah so they're basically taking Debian and turning it in to Ubuntu. Great.

Didn't Canonical already do this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I tried Debian Sid out in a vm recently, many of the packages in the Maverick repos are more up to date than even Sids experimental ones. I doubt Mint Debian (testing) offers any noticeable if any improvements at all.
    Last edited by Madspyman; September 7th, 2010 at 05:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'll look for a review on this. Like all Linux distributions though one's mileage may vary. What may be the silver bullet to one, can be a complete nightmare to another.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

How stable is testing? My cousin will be getting a laptop within a year and really wants to try linux, would mint debian be good for him? I like it's rolling but is it unstable?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    How stable is testing? My cousin will be getting a laptop within a year and really wants to try linux, would mint debian be good for him? I like it's rolling but is it unstable?
    Testing is more stable than most people believe it to be. Basically, if you want a Debian 'ubuntu,' tetsing is the way to go.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    Ah so they're basically taking Debian and turning it in to Ubuntu. Great.

Didn't Canonical already do this?
    Ubuntu makes a lot of BIG changes, I'm guessing Mint won't. Which will hopefully keep the stability Debian has, while maybe making it a bit more user friendly.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast