Thread: Re install Ubuntu but keep /home

Beans
    Hidden!

Re install Ubuntu but keep /home

I made a massive cockup when installing Windows 7 to a seperate partition on my hard drive and as a result of my attempting to fix GRUB I can now no longer boot into anything apart from the live cd.

I was wondering if there was a guide I could follow to show me how to reinstall Ubuntu but keep my /home folder which is on a seperate partition?

Failing that what is the best way to make a backup of my home folder and then wipe /home and /root and start again?
    "All right amatuer hour's over. Let me show you why they call me the Velour Fog...."
    .:GitHub:.|.:Dropbox:.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Re install Ubuntu but keep /home

If your /home is on a seperate partition, start the installer - pick manual at the partition stage.

Select the existing / partition - Edit partition - Use as ext4,format and Mountpoint - / then save/close that window

Select the existing /home partition - Edit partition - Use as whatever it was previously, DO NOT FORMAT and Mountpoint /home - save and close that window

Check that the only partition that is going to be formatted is the existing / partition.

Carry on - that will install over the existing installation and use the old /home.

Use the same username though.

Always good to have backups though

Beans

how to back up your home folder, at least - it worked for me:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1560044
    the only thing I haven't discovered yet is how to save my mail and bookmarks... but I'll get there

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    If your /home is on a seperate partition, start the installer - pick manual at the partition stage.

Select the existing / partition - Edit partition - Use as ext4,format and Mountpoint - / then save/close that window

Select the existing /home partition - Edit partition - Use as whatever it was previously, DO NOT FORMAT and Mountpoint /home - save and close that window

Check that the only partition that is going to be formatted is the existing / partition.

Carry on - that will install over the existing installation and use the old /home.

Use the same username though.

aha - I just replied to this thread as well. Will this method keep my mail and bookmarks too? haven't wanted to re-install without checking that. I have Xp and Ubuntu on separate partitions. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thats parfait! Will have a go at that tonight.

I usually do a backup before something like this, in my haste to get it over with I dun goofed.

Lesson learned.

Muchly appreciated.
    "All right amatuer hour's over. Let me show you why they call me the Velour Fog...."

Beans
    Hidden!

worked a charm and were all good to go.

forestpiskie, you are a legend.

Beans

SO. what happens if I choose only / folder to format and install but leave /home as it is?
    Will the Ubuntu then install on / partition and there make a new folder /home?
    so I will have two /home folders? one on install partition and one from before?

what about swap and NTFS partition?