Thread: FTP server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

FTP server

I am looking for some good FTP server software. Any recommendations?
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page

Beans

Re: FTP server

It depends on how you want it managed. In my situation I don't have multiple users nor the need to provide any web interface, so I just use sshd, which is the open ssh server, and I connect to it from a client using the command "sftp" or the "Connect to Server" option in Nautilus. This is a secure file transfer employing the same methods of encrypting the traffic as ssh uses, so I don't have to worry about the safety of sending documents that contain my banking info or other personal information. It is installed with the openssh-server package.

Beans
    Distro

I am looking for one that multiple users can log into.
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page

Beans

Well, multiple users CAN log into it, but you'd have to give them local accounts on the ftp machine. They would enjoy the same benefits as you would - authentication and a secure connection. I'm not sure how you can limit their access to only file transfers so they wouldn't have shell access. Is that alright?

Beans
    Distro

Thats fine as long as they cant edit system files. Well i am going to take that option into consideration now. Thanks. If anyone else has any other ideas please feel free to post them.
    My Launchpad
    My Wiki Page

Beans

I think one way you can restrict access is to use ACL's. There are some good youtube videos for implementing ACL's.