Thread: Display acting crazy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Display acting crazy

I'm running UNR 10.04 on my Starling. When I choose a source that has more than one page of display space (like gmail or Firefox), every time I use the thumb pad, the display scrolls from top to bottom and back with the cursor placed anywhere on the page.

For example, I open my Gmail account. There are 25 emails, more than can be displayed on the screen. I put the cursor on the scroll bar, and the page scrolls properly. When I move the cursor to a specific email and attempt to left click on the thumb pad, the link isn't made. Instead of going to the email, the screen just scrolls up and down. I tried to right click and see if that would "clear" the problem - no luck. No matter what I try to do, no matter where I put the cursor, the display screen scrolls through the entire page.

If that makes any sense to you, can you offer any suggestion that would allow me to regain control? As it stands now, I can't really use the computer for anything longer than what fits on one page of the display. I can't click on links because the screen is a moving target. If I open a word processing document, I can't place the cursor in the document.

My frustration level is pretty high right now.

Tnx for any help you can offer.

mcm
    Mark C. Miller
    Indianapolis Indiana

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Display acting crazy

Hi Mark.

Sounds like you may be hitting the scroll bar on the touch pad by accident. To use the scroll on new Starlings, you simply touch the corners of the pad on the right hand side.

You may be hitting the area that triggers this. Make sure you hit the pad near the center.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!