Thread: How to run lshw when not able to run Ubuntu

Beans

How to run lshw when not able to run Ubuntu

I am trying to install Ubuntu on a laptop, but have some problems. I would like to run lshw and save output to help me understand what could be the problem. But I can not install Ubuntu, and I can not run the live version.

So how can I run the lshw. Is it possible to to to a shell from a Ubuntu cd, or do I need some special cd?

Thomas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to run lshw when not able to run Ubuntu

yes, the liveCD must have a option to let you at a cmd line. Seach for some options at the bottom of the screen when starting the livecd, or take an alternate version of ubuntu: THAT SHOULD HAVE SUCH. I remembered i did it one... don't remember when. If your PC is a new one then it's most probably that you need to try the newest kernel. try 10.10 beta.
    God loves you. Love Him too.

Beans

I would also believe that you could enter a shell from the Ubuntu installation cd but I just can not find it.

I ended up doing this with vmlinuz on SystemRescueCD, which is basically a "tool" live cd for fixing or inspecting problems! But I would still like to know how to enter a shell from the Ubuntu installation cd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try the alternate version of ISO. get it from http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

the alternate installer has a "rescue a broken system" in it's primary/first menu.
    God loves you. Love Him too.

Beans

Great. Thanks for the advice.

Btw. Why did they not just put these extra capabilities on the "standard" ISO instead of having to offer two versions?