Hey everyone. I wasn't sure where to put this, since it isn't exactly a help topic, but rather, a topic for discussing various methods and tips. So I figured it'd fit in the Community Cafe, but please move it if there's a better spot.
Anyhow, I was wondering, how does everyone deal with being notified when they receive a new IM? Put it another way: Say you're viewing your browser in full-screen while you're conversing with someone over IM, and your IM window is in the background--how do you know when you get IMed?
Some obvious methods I've come across, and my problems with them:
- the window in the panel's Window List will blink (but I don't want a panel for a Windows List)
- an icon in a dock blinks/jumps/whatever (but I don't really want a dock)
- the messaging indicator (the envelope in the indicator applet) will change color (but it also changes color when you get an email, which could be confusing)
- an icon in the notification panel will change (but the notification panel is cluttered and I don't want it)
- a notify-osd bubble will pop up (but I don't want people reading IMs over my shoulder)
- the IM program makes a sound when you get a new message (but that distracts other people)
So those are the ways I've come across. And evidently, I'm not content with any of them. I'm leaning toward a dock, but eh. Any other methods? How do you figure out when you're IMed?