Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attaching NEW Hard Disk Changes Device Name FROM: /dev/sdb (HOME) TO: /dev/sdc (HOME)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Attaching NEW Hard Disk Changes Device Name FROM: /dev/sdb (HOME) TO: /dev/sdc (H

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderDGreat View Post
    - Sata Cables. Sata ports are in order.

I'm a logical thinker, The SATA 0, 1, 2 ,3 - are in the ORDER I partition my hard disks:

/boot, /swap, /root - SDA SATA0
    /home - SDB SATA1
    /backups - SDC SATA2
    /dev/sr0 - DVDROM SATA3

so I don't think I have an issue there. But in Ubuntu it's /backups - SDB, /home - SDC - quite the opposite.
    You still haven't told us why it matters.
    Try swapping the sata cables around and put your backup drive on SATA1 and home on SATA2, but I guess it won't matter. Your backup drive is probably just a little bit faster at being detected by the bios, boot loader, kernel, udev or whatever it is that sets the order... Is it newer or better in any way?

Beans

Re: Attaching NEW Hard Disk Changes Device Name FROM: /dev/sdb (HOME) TO: /dev/sdc (H

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    You still haven't told us why it matters.
    Try swapping the sata cables around and put your backup drive on SATA1 and home on SATA2, but I guess it won't matter. Your backup drive is probably just a little bit faster at being detected by the bios, boot loader, kernel, udev or whatever it is that sets the order... Is it newer or better in any way?
    zfs pools reference the device letters. switching cables doesn't help.

Beans

I use dd command to create bootable USB sticks

"dd if=/directory/file.img of=/dev/sdd"

Why do you have to change the drive letters? I Almost flushed away 1.5 terabytes of precious homevideos and stuff, omg fortunately I started the Disk Utility before and noticed that the USB sticks "/dev/sdd" has changed to "/dev/sda"

This is very stupid indeed, Ubuntu Team. Tell me one good reason why in the **** there is need to change those letters when i reboot the machine?

Now I cannot never use Bash history commands if I use /dev/sdx or /dev/hdx and I've been using then about 20 years.

Nice thing this DRIVE LETTER LOTTERY you geniuses have figured out!

Beans

well Now i DID flush 2 terabytes of my personal data to bit heaven

Now my 2 terabytes homevideos etc /dev/sdd1 is filled with .iso garbage when i did wrong DD command

I hate you Ubuntu

I really really Hate you and please you guys who decided to make this drive lettering lottery, you guys wont meet me in IRL never

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12