Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: No wireless network connection!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: No wireless network connection!

For some reason one of the attachments was not attached to my reply --- try again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[QUOTE=realzippy;9816167]Ok.at least you could connect through WLAN booting the older Kernel.So the laptop is usable;any reason why you have to run the new kernel?If not,I suggest to run the working one.

Anyway,
    in the last time I saw certain threads concerning misbehaving network-manager,wicd as alternative worked.

To see status of your wlan run:

Code:
    iwconfig
    ..might give a clue.

And something else to look at. I have attached two screen shots, one from the problem machine (LapTop) and the other from the ok machine (Desktop). Can you tell which one is from the LapTop and and which is from the DeskTop?

I have attached these because when one looks at the output from iwconfig, the LapTop is not picking up the SSID (B2_private_56).

--V

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You have different passwords...

91909190F and

919091904F ??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

YES! Very stupid of me. But, now I am unable to recover from the modprobe cmds that I executed; i.e., it does not even try to connect now.

--V

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So restart.BTW,the older kernel should be still available if you did not deinstall them manually.Press "ESC" when booting to show all available kernels...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

EUREKA!!! Connection has been made ---- I apologize for my very stupid mistake. You would not believe how many times I checked this and missed it --- must be old age dementia setting in on me.

Thanks very very much for your tenacity on this problem. I will try to summarize how this problem was solved and post it with a status of "SOLVED".

Have a good day realZippy!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You are welcome.Glad you made it..have fun!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Finally with the very useful inputs and perseverance of realZippy this problem has been solved.

It seems that a connection to the Internet on the machine with the problem is required! This is important. In my case, I made a direct cable connection to the internet from my laptop. Once I made this direct cable connection and was online, I then performed the following:

1. System -> Administration -> Update Manager and then perform updates of everything offered.

2. Download:

bcmwl-kernel-source_5.60.48.36+bdcom-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    broadcom-sta-source_5.60.48.36-3_all.deb
    broadcom-sta-common_5.10.91.9.3-3_all.deb

and install them. There should be no errors/failures and all dependencies resolved.

You can now remove the direct cable connection. Note, the wireless device is automatically activated on my laptop when there is no direct cable connection.

3. Define the parameters for the wireless connection. I used System -> Preferences -> Network Preferences, to accomplish this. Be very careful here (I wasn't )

4. Reboot and... the-tha-tha-that-that's all folks!

Have a good day!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345