Thread: Sound problem in 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sound problem in 10.04

I installed OSS following the instructions given in this link http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-inst...d-quality.html. but the installation dint go good and now i am unable to listen to any sound. Please help me to remove this and get back the old pulse.
    If you believe in God then you dont believe Yourself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Sound problem in 10.04

there are instructions on that page for undoing the changes

In a terminal, run sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base
    Choose ALSA. Reboot.
    Remove the libasound configuration file: rm ~/.asoundrc
    Reinstall Pulseaudio and associated packages: sudo apt-get install pulseaudio indicator-sound libcanberra-pulse pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-x11 ubuntu-desktop ppa-purge
    Restore the original Pulse-based Gnome volume manager: sudo ppa-purge ppa:dtl131/ppa
    Configure Gstreamer for Puseaudio output by running gstreamer-properties and setting input and output to PulseAudio.
    If you manually configured applications (e.g. Audacious, Audacity, Kdenlive, SMPlayer, VLC, Wine, etc.) to use OSS4, switch them back to Pulseaudio or ALSA-output.
    Start gconf-editor. Open system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/default. Check if any keys (e.g. musicaudiosink and chataudiosink) are set to “osssink”. If so, change them to “pulsesink”.
    Remove the OSS4 package using Synaptic or with sudo apt-get remove oss-linux. Optionally you can also remove gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad and ppa-purge now.
    Last edited by dream_coder; September 6th, 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Sound problem in 10.04

well thanks, but i thried and that dint work.
    and i solved it by simply selecting complete removal option of OSS in synaptic and now it works good.
    If you believe in God then you dont believe Yourself