Re: Ubuntu 10.04 no screens found

... the attachment was missing
    Attached Images Attached Images

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Ubuntu 10.04 no screens found

You know, I feel a little more than stupid right now, as I NEVER asked if you had installed a driver or not. I do not know if ubuntu supports your adapter out of the box or not, so please do the following:

- open a terminal window (Applications/Accessories/Terminal)
    - type:

lshw <press enter>

There will be quite a bit of output from that. Look for a section that looks similar to the following:

Code:
               *-display:0
                    description: VGA compatible controller
                    product: RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]
                    vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
                    physical id: 0
                    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                    version: 01
                    width: 32 bits
                    clock: 66MHz
                    capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                    configuration: driver=radeon latency=32 mingnt=8
                    resources: irq:16 memory:c0000000-c7ffffff ioport:a800(size=256) memory:cfef0000-cfefffff memory:cfec0000-cfedffff
    Post just that section back here - if there is more than 1 "display:" sections (like *-display:1) copy and post those sections back here as well. From that we can determine what driver the video is using by default, see if it's valid for your adapter, and research problems with that adapter and/or driver and ubuntu 10.10.

Dave

Beans

Hi Dave,
    here is the section of lshw, today without dust on the scren. I cannot remember, that i installed other drivers than the default one's.

The first installation of the computer is some years ago and i followed all updates. So i think the whole issue comes from an update. Until the issue started the graphical user interface was working fine.

One thing i did not mention until now: in the final phase of booting the computer the login prompt is shown and immediately blanked out again. This repeats about 5 times, finally the screen is stable. This is not a blinking of the screen itself, because my typing is removed.

If you think, the graphics card is not supported anymore i can buy a new one. What brand / chipset / ... do you suggest? Although i like the existing one because it is integrated on the motherboard.

-trekki
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by trekki; November 3rd, 2010 at 08:51 PM.

Beans

The issue is solved for my side.
    Dave's questions gave me the idea to connect 2 screens to my computer. One on the VGA connector and one on the DVI connector. When booting both screens showed the same information. Via the screen config menu i wanted to change this to have a bigger desktop area over both screens. Here the first question was, if i want to install the nvidia driver to get support for this. After installation and reboot the desktop was shown on one screen only and the second stayed blank.
    Now the situation is, that i have removed the blank screen and can work fine with ubuntu. But i can only assume, that the reason for the error was an updated driver. Now i work with the nvidia driver.

Thanks to all for support and ideas!

-trekki

Beans

I had this no screens found error just now on Ubuntu 10.10. I think I may have installed the proprietary Nvidia graphics driver when I really didn't need to. Anyway, I rebooted my machine, selected the second boot option (Recovery), selected the low-graphics recovery option, and then reset my graphics driver to the default condition. Restarted, and now it works fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12