Thread: pls help, wifi won't connect

Beans

Unhappy pls help, wifi won't connect

Intel 4965agn on AsusC90s notebook, trying to connect through LinksysWRT610n
    worked until fresh install ubuntu 10.10
    -scanning and listing many wifi networks around,
    -trying to connect my home (windows WORKGROUP with many XPs, Vista's, W7s), typing password, rejects to connect to my WPA-WPA2 personal
    - the antenna applet is just running and periodically comes back to enter password? cable running OK.
    - is this some security issue? what is what Im missing?
    Im not planning to do a big-deep study, just to make it work until next major upgrade

Beans

Re: pls help, wifi won't connect

forgot to say:
    same nite 2 default installation:
    - Asus EEE 1005PE netbook, installed 10.10 netbook edition and all worked out of box (since I've switched to desktop interface, like it better)
    - Asus C90s laptop, installed 10.10 desktop edition and wireless wont connect (as I sad, scanning and finding surrounding signals), not even after (connected LAN) upgrades;
    This gives me an idea that there must be some differences between the default packages, but all these exceedes my understandings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by attilab View Post
    forgot to say:
    same nite 2 default installation:
    - Asus EEE 1005PE netbook, installed 10.10 netbook edition and all worked out of box (since I've switched to desktop interface, like it better)
    - Asus C90s laptop, installed 10.10 desktop edition and wireless wont connect (as I sad, scanning and finding surrounding signals), not even after (connected LAN) upgrades;
    This gives me an idea that there must be some differences between the default packages, but all these exceedes my understandings.
    Power cycle the router.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Is there any output from the command?
    Code:
    iwconfig
    To run the command you can press alt + F2, type gnome-terminal and click run. Then copy and paste the command from the web page to the terminal (use your mouse as control + c control + v doesn't work in terminal)

Beans

RE: to dcstar
    yes I re-powered the router several times, but no I'm not reversed to hard reset (because I made a range of available IP's between 100-140, I have about 10 static IPs (for TV's, DVDs, game consoles, and the PCs(xp, Vista, W7, linux) are auto IPs.) and it might be a long process assigning back the stats.
    RE: to amsterdamharu

attilab@attilab-C90S:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:"bibatthun_5"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:5.24 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=15 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Power Management:off

can you please tell me how to interpret this? the funny faces came out auto :)
    Last edited by Iowan; December 30th, 2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Disabled smilies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dumb the situation down

Meaning turn off wpa2 at the router and see if you can connect to an open network. There are other things you can try also, however need more info.

Beans

tomorrow afternoon I will hard reset the router, and will go from there,

Beans

Interesting thing:
    1. hard reset and built up from scratch the Linksys WRT610N router
    2. create one profile 2.4 GHz mixed mode (abgn) WPA2 and managed the (Asus C90s) Intel 4965 abgn card to connect
    3. create one profile 5.0 GHz N mode only WPA2, couldn't connect ?!
    4. previously I had both the wifi profiles locked to N-only for about a year, worked like a charm on all Win and Linux machines untill 10.10 update (fresh install -not update)
    4. the second 5GHz option (N only) would be a perfect for my case, longer range, larger bandwith with faster speed...
    anybody?