Thread: sharing sub-folders?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question sharing sub-folders?

I'm trying to set up one machine to "serve" music to several others, running ubuntu or windows. Sharing the main "Music" folder is fine (Using Sharing in Nautilus), but the sub-folders in it are not accessible. I have tried setting the file permissions on the server (all 755), but that doesn't seem to affect the situation - the Music folder is available, so are any music files directly in Music, but trying to open the folder "JazzMisc" within Music fails.

The way I have found to get around this is to separately set up JazzMisc, and many other folders, as shares; but then I have dozens of shares, rather than a folder tree under Music in which I can find what I want.

What am I missing?
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Beans

Re: sharing sub-folders?

It sounds like a permissions issue to me.

Post the output of these two commands:
    Code:
    net usershare info
    Code:
    ls -al /path-to-your-Music-folder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: sharing sub-folders?

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    It sounds like a permissions issue to me.

Post the output of these two commands:
    Code:
    net usershare info
    Code:
    ls -al /path-to-your-Music-folder
    Thanks for the suggestions: the problem was indeed permissions.

I had inadvertently set the permissions for the sub-folders to 766, not 755. Resetting them to 755 solved the problem.
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...