Thread: Radeon HD 5650 gets VERY slow after enabling compositing in KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Radeon HD 5650 gets VERY slow after enabling compositing in KDE

Hi!

I have a laptop with the radeon HD 5650 video card. I used ubuntu's hardware drivers program to install the official drivers, and it seems to be working well, including 3D acceleration in games. However, it seems that enabling compositing in KDE makes it much slower. For example, running glxgears without compositing gives me about 35000 frames in 5 seconds, after I enable compositing it's only 6000 frames. But it's not just glxgears, the slowness is very noticeable in games as well.

On my old computer, I had an nVidia card, and enabling compositing in KDE made it a little slower, but the difference definitely wasn't that huge. o_O Is it some wrong configuration, a bug in ATI's drivers, or something else?

^_^

Beans
    Distro

Re: Radeon HD 5650 gets VERY slow after enabling compositing in KDE

Bump!

^_^

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I used ubuntu's hardware drivers program to install the official drivers
    They might be "official" as you say, but they are outdated, almost 3 or 4 versions outdated now. All I can suggest is trying the more upto date drivers from the ATi site.

ATi have a monthly cycle on drivers, whilst ubuntu as like a 6month cycle with each new ubuntu release.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply! I think I'll just learn to live without compositing until the next Ubuntu version... it's a good thing that KDE is pretty even without it I don't really want to mess up my Ubuntu installation by installing stuff outside the package manager.

^_^