Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOW-TO: Printing from Ubuntu to a USB Printer on Airport Extreme Base Station

Beans

Re: HOW-TO: Printing from Ubuntu to a USB Printer on Airport Extreme Base Station

Thanks! Got me up and printing on my friend's AEBS in about ten minutes. I was able to use the Print Administration tool in Hardy Heron. Scanned the AEBS at 10.0.1.1 using nmapfe and found port 9102 open. Using AppSocket/HP JetDirect, I entered host 10.0.1.1 and port 9102. Voila!

There was no need to do anything else on either Ubuntu or the Mac/AEBS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW-TO: Printing from Ubuntu to a USB Printer on Airport Extreme Base Station

Quote Originally Posted by renatoborges View Post
    all you have to do is install the avahi-utils by the synaptic package manager (system/administration/synaptic package manager) and after installation restart your system.

then go to system/administration/print and click the new printer button, your printer or printers, connected to the airport express should appear in the list of printers available for installation.
    It worked perfectly I did not have to follow the lead posts using the jet direct method
    Thanks!
    :kihei

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Woohoo... after I went to a x86 machine w/ Gutsy (I needed it for some light dev work I'm doing), I could no longer get my own tutorial to work for me...

Hmmm...

About 4 weeks ago I upgraded to Hardy and now it works again... not sure what was up, but I'm glad to have printing back...
    Davygravy is Using Jaunty & Enjoying It... as he works with...
    foonas
    Buffalo NAS Central
    OpenEmbedded

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-03 21:10 CET
    Interesting ports on 10.0.0.1:
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    9100/tcp closed jetdirect
    9101/tcp closed jetdirect
    9102/tcp closed jetdirect
    9103/tcp closed jetdirect
    9104/tcp closed jetdirect
    9105/tcp closed jetdirect
    9106/tcp closed jetdirect
    9107/tcp closed jetdirect
    9108/tcp closed unknown
    9109/tcp closed unknown
    9110/tcp closed unknown

how to open them from linux
    Visit my site www.flapane.com - MY GALLERY - MY Linux/OSX REPOSITORY - MY BLOG
    Ibook 12''1,33ghz 1.5GB 160GB HD - PC Intel i3-2120 - MBP 15'' i7 2.2ghz - T-Mobile Vibrant - YamahaP90 - Nikon D80

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Awesome guide thanks worked a treat. I didn't even know there was a web interface like that for CUPS!

Beans

I read these posts and they where very helpful. I am using the currently latest production release of 9.10. I approached this from a different angle however. I went to System->Administration->Printing and clicked on the New button. It searched for my printers, but did not find it. So I clicked on the Network Printer expansion and looked at the options. I selected AppSocket/HP JetDirect and entered in my Airport Extreme IP address of 10.0.1.1 and left the default port at 9100. Now click the Forward button at the bottom of the dialogue window. The next window asks you to select your printer from the database. Click Forward again. I selected my PhotoSmart C3100 series from the selection of HP printers and clicked Forward again. Enter in the printer description information if you don't like the defaults, then click Apply.

That's all there was to it. It found my printer and I printed the test page. Perfect!

Thanks everyone!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ronmihu View Post
    I read these posts and they where very helpful. I am using the currently latest production release of 9.10. I approached this from a different angle however. I went to System->Administration->Printing and clicked on the New button. It searched for my printers, but did not find it. So I clicked on the Network Printer expansion and looked at the options. I selected AppSocket/HP JetDirect and entered in my Airport Extreme IP address of 10.0.1.1 and left the default port at 9100. Now click the Forward button at the bottom of the dialogue window. The next window asks you to select your printer from the database. Click Forward again. I selected my PhotoSmart C3100 series from the selection of HP printers and clicked Forward again. Enter in the printer description information if you don't like the defaults, then click Apply.

That's all there was to it. It found my printer and I printed the test page. Perfect!

Thanks everyone!
    It's so beautiful when something actually works on the first try :,D

Sorry to bump a dead thread.
    i5-650 Dual-Core 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 1TB, eVGA GTX 460 *Running Ubuntu, Arch, Win7, Snow Leopard
    Aluminum Unibody, 5,1 Macbook *Running Snow Leopard, Ubuntu, Jolicloud

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the support. Had no idea that you could access CUPS via an internet browser. Easy setup, good tutorial!

Beans

Thanks for the HOW-TO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12