View Poll Results: What do you think about Canonicals' choice?

Voters
328. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love the idea!

149 45.43%
  • I think it's alright

106 32.32%
  • I am not too sure about this...

46 14.02%
  • I am going to hate this!

27 8.23%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think Of Ubuntu's 10.10 Software Center And The Ability To Purchase Apps

Beans

Re: What Do You Think Of Ubuntu's 10.10 Software Center And The Ability To Purchase A

Quote Originally Posted by MetaDark View Post
    I don't know if this is a bug or something but apparently there are 7 votes but only 3 views on this thread, how is that possible?
    It's not a bug, you can vote in a poll without posting to the thread.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What Do You Think Of Ubuntu's 10.10 Software Center And The Ability To Purchase A

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoode View Post
    it worked so well for linspire.
    doh!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

personally, I think this is a step in the wrong direction philosophically for ubuntu. Ubuntu's manifesto claims it will always be free. Now, you have injections of pay-on-demand application capacities being applied to the core image. This is what happens when a good thing gets too big. Greed begets the purpose of the whole thing, and what was once good just becomes commercialized. Whats next? Ads? If a company wants to create a commercial repository, for delivering their application to ubuntu, there are other ways to do this. I don't like version development of a free/open (in all meanings) OS suddenly abandoning their philosophy that drew so many users and developers to them.

That being said, Canonical doesn't care what I think, they just want me to buy crap from the ubuntu store.

(On another note, I've been spending the week at VMWorld in San Francisco, CA which focused heavily on cloud computing this year. I was really surprised not to see canonical here, talking about a cloud service tier where they are currently making money, and can make lots more.)

It won't hurt ubuntu immediately, but I do believe it will hurt ubuntu over time.
    Last edited by toupeiro; September 3rd, 2010 at 12:55 AM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

rollin is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    personally, I think this is a step in the wrong direction philosophically for ubuntu. Ubuntu's manifesto claims it will always be free. Now, you have injections of pay-on-demand application capacities being applied to the core image. This is what happens when a good thing gets too big. Greed begets the purpose of the whole thing, and what was once good just becomes commercialized. Whats next? Ads? If a company wants to create a commercial repository, for delivering their application to ubuntu, there are other ways to do this. I don't like version development of a free/open (in all meanings) OS suddenly abandoning their philosophy that drew so many users and developers to them.

That being said, Canonical doesn't care what I think, they just want me to buy crap from the ubuntu store.

(On another note, I've been spending the week at VMWorld in San Francisco, CA which focused heavily on cloud computing this year. I was really surprised not to see canonical here, talking about a cloud service tier where they are currently making money, and can make lots more.)

It won't hurt ubuntu immediately, but I do believe it will hurt ubuntu over time.
    So wrong! Imagine a leading Linux distro in 50 years... Your ideas are outdated, sorry. It's not greed, it is the way Linux and the awesome Ubuntu need to go. The potential for companies to realise an equitable return programming for Linux is a massive gain for everyone. Even the die hards will eventually sit there and think, actually I'm glad Ubuntu started this my favourite X app is now in Linux...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It's cool, but it's hard to really give an opinion as there is only one app in the store.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by donkyhotay View Post
    It's not a bug, you can vote in a poll without posting to the thread.
    I said view, not post, but it doesn't really matter.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

meh, neutral.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have no problem, as long as the paid stuff doesn't choke off open source programmers and turn everything into payware apps, like a demented version of Windows, corrupting everything Ubuntu stands for. As long as there is choice, and the paid stuff is just as good the free stuff with no spyware phoning home (I really have been tainted by Windows) fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

As long as Ubuntu stays "free as in beer" and they don't start removing open source applications from their repos in an attempt to sell more paid apps then I don't have a problem with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There should be an "I don't care" option.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast