Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Customize guest session

Beans

Re: Customize guest session

Hi,

I've been browsing around the net trying to find a way to disable "everything" for a specific user account. That is, I only want the user to be able to start a single program as a shortcut on the desktop.

I have installed (fully installed) Ubuntu on a USB dongle and also installed gnome-session-fallback and made it boot directly into the gnome-classic interface as it's quite a bit easier to customize (as far as I know) the panels etc. compared to Unity.

Now, by using your "disable_app()" would it be possible to disable every program that I don't want the user to be able to access? (i.e terminal, system monitor, system settings ++)

Obviously I would also have to remove right clicking, file system access, keyboard shortcuts, log out/switch user etc. I do think I have this covered, but Im at a loss as to how I can prevent the user from accessing system settings.

Basically, if only the desktop was shown (without menus) that would be perfect, but Im pretty sure that's not possible

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

regards,
    Cato

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by psycato View Post
    ... by using your "disable_app()" would it be possible to disable every program that I don't want the user to be able to access? (i.e terminal, system monitor, system settings ++)
    No. "disable_app()" prevents automatic startup of applications that otherwise would have been automatically launched at startup. It does not prevent the user from launching those applications 'by hand'.

Beans

does anyone know if i can access a nfs mounted directory from a guest session?
    i can access to usb drives if i plug one with guest, but can't to a mounted nfs. loggin with an ordinary user works well.
    my fstab entry is: ip://folder /media/folder ro,users 0 0
    i tried putting uid and gid, but the guest uid seems to change dinamicaly.

[edit] running Ubuntu 12.04
    Last edited by gussug; May 15th, 2012 at 06:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have used the alternative method in #23 with some success but I am having issues with the Background. When in the guest session I select a picture that I have copied into the Pictures folder of the Guest account and it appears fine. After switching back to the Administrator account and copying the tmp guest user folder to the etc/guest-session/skel the picture is there. However when I log back into the guest account I get the blue background and not the picture, however the picture is there to select. I am using 12.04,

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? Also does the tar at the beginning of this thread work in 12.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I managed to fix the Background issue with this guide:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/64001.../121594#121594

And I could not get the tar for lightDM to work in 12.04, it installs but then I couldn't get into the guest account , although the #23 post method works to change some simple stuff.

Beans

Hello guys,

I have a problem with desktop launcher (for wine program) on guest session. My Ubuntu version is 12.04 LTS and Wine 1.4.1. So, when i want to run e.g Counter Strike game via desktop launcher, nothing is happening but when i run it via terminal, game works. Game is installed in /opt/games via standard user account named pc01-master and works on that and administrator account but on guest session I can run only via terminal when execute:

Code:
    env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine" wine z:\\opt\\games\\CS1.6\\Counter-Strike.exe
    That is command from desktop launcher but launcher won't execute it. :S When I put in launcher command without wine prefix:

Code:
    wine z:\\opt\\games\\CS1.6\\Counter-Strike.exe
    I get wine error:
    Code:
    Internal errors - Invalid parameters received
    I have tried in many ways, but without success:

Remove .wine folder from guest-xxxxxx home folder, modify permissions, same user groups, auto chown and chmod 777 /opt and .wine folder (pc01-master) to guest-xxxxxx via /etc/guest-session/prefs.sh but without success unfortunately.

I noticed that when I remove .wine folder from pc01-master home folder and run desktop launcher from guest session, i get this error:

Code:
    Failed to change to directory '/home/pc01-master/.wine/dosdevices/z:/opt/games/CS1.6/' (No such file or directory)
    Also I noticed that is /home restricted for guest, I can't access via Nautilus and probably because it desktop launcher does not work.

Maybe I don't setup some permision correctly but i don't known what. :S Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by doce; June 24th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gussug View Post
    does anyone know if i can access a nfs mounted directory from a guest session?
    i can access to usb drives if i plug one with guest, but can't to a mounted nfs. loggin with an ordinary user works well.
    my fstab entry is: ip://folder /media/folder ro,users 0 0
    I think it's intentionally prevented via AppArmor.
    Code:
    $ grep /media /etc/apparmor.d/lightdm-guest-session
      owner /media/ r,
      owner /media/** rmwlixk,  # we want access to USB sticks and the like
    $

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by doce View Post
    Also I noticed that is /home restricted for guest, I can't access via Nautilus ...
    Guests are denied access to /home by design (via AppArmor).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by elysithea View Post
    And I could not get the tar for lightDM to work in 12.04, it installs but then I couldn't get into the guest account , although the #23 post method works to change some simple stuff.
    The tar guest-session-prefs-lightdm-0.12.tar.gz works fine on my 12.04. You may want to provide some more details about the nature of your problems.

Beans

Guest session VPN authentication

Hi guys, is there a way to disable authentication required for VPN so people using guest session can use internet?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast