Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unetbootin hard drive install failed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[solved] Unetbootin hard drive install failed.

I have Xubuntu installed on my Desktop, and I want to dual boot Ubuntu Server Edition. The computer is old, so I need to boot the CD from here to boot from a USB drive.(I know that the iso isn't the problem, for I have used it before.) I can't burn CDs, due to the problem here, so I need to use the unetbootin temporary hard drive install. Instead of showing a menu to boot from the USB drive, It booted directly into Xubuntu. Can anyone help?
    Last edited by Austin25; September 4th, 2010 at 05:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Unetbootin hard drive install failed.

Did you make sure the usb drive was above your hard drive in the boot order in your bios? Alternatively, many let you press a key (usually F11 I think) to select the which device to boot.

Something else to watch out for (not the problem you're having now) is that unetbootlin seems to have trouble copying the server/alternative cd correctly to usb, due to this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unetbootin/+bug/373089
    I gave up and used the cd for Lucid server installs.

A third option I've tried is installing within virtualbox, then migrating it to the partition, but that presented other difficulties, like vboxmanage -clonehd having an undisablable feature where it changes the partition uuids, but there's ways to fix it, and other ways to copy it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dtfinch View Post
    Did you make sure the usb drive was above your hard drive in the boot order in your bios? Alternatively, many let you press a key (usually F11 I think) to select the which device to boot.

Something else to watch out for (not the problem you're having now) is that unetbootlin seems to have trouble copying the server/alternative cd correctly to usb, due to this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unetbootin/+bug/373089
    I gave up and used the cd for Lucid server installs.

A third option I've tried is installing within virtualbox, then migrating it to the partition, but that presented other difficulties, like vboxmanage -clonehd having an undisablable feature where it changes the partition uuids, but there's ways to fix it, and other ways to copy it.
    The usb drive is not enabled in the bios, that's why I need to boot the chainloader CD.
    It hasn't gotten to the point where it tries to boot from the USB drive yet.
    Maybe I could try migrating from Virtual box, but it would be useful to boot that chainlader CD using unetbootin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For creating the bootable usb installer, there's also a usb-creator-gtk package that I haven't tried. I don't think it has the same long filename problem with alternative/server installs as unetbootin.

Or it looks like there's a way to skip the use of removable media altogether:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...x#Without%20CD
    The instructions assume you want to install to /dev/sda1, which you'll almost certainly want to change. And you'll want to substitute the ubuntu-server package for ubuntu-desktop in the last step.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Just press Ctrl+Alt+F1

Login in and bingo, welcome to server mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For creating the bootable usb installer, there's also a usb-creator-gtk package that I haven't tried. I don't think it has the same long filename problem with alternative/server installs as unetbootin.

Or it looks like there's a way to skip the use of removable media altogether:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...x#Without%20CD
    The instructions assume you want to install to /dev/sda1, which you'll almost certainly want to change. And you'll want to substitute the ubuntu-server package for ubuntu-desktop in the last step.
    The problem isn't the creating a bootable flash drive, unetbootin is working for that on another computer, although unetbootin for the temporary hard drive install isn't working. See here for the difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Just press Ctrl+Alt+F1

Login in and bingo, welcome to server mode.
    Then I still have the overhead of the gui though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How would you suggest I do this?
    Last edited by Austin25; September 3rd, 2010 at 10:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast