Thread: Login Authentication Failed and Cannot Enter Recovery Mode

Beans

Login Authentication Failed and Cannot Enter Recovery Mode

Hello Everyone. Earlier today I was setting up ssh on a new computer. I modified permissions on the Passwd folder to complete the setup. I few hours later when I went to sudo something in the terminal I received the notice of an incorrect password (after using sudo prior to this), even though it was typed correctly.

I tried to restart the computer to solve the issue, but was met with an Authentication Failed message, regardless of the user I tried to log in with. I was hoping I could log in with recovery mode but was unable to do that as well. I have searched a substantial amount and have not found a solution. Could this be an issue with permissions on either the Passwd or Shadow folder? If so, could these be changed if I ran a Live CD? Thank you for the advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Login Authentication Failed and Cannot Enter Recovery Mode

Quote Originally Posted by drewboud View Post
    Could this be an issue with permissions on either the Passwd or Shadow folder?
    It depends, if you chmod o-r passwd, no user programs can read it. I guess some want to.

If so, could these be changed if I ran a Live CD?
    Yes. From the live-cd, mount the partition with the system on it. Then sudo chmod XXX /media/YYY/etc/passwd or sudo chown ZZZ /media/YYY/etc/passwd.

For reference, on my system ls -l /etc/passwd /etc/shadow
    Code:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1800 2010-08-19 18:09 /etc/passwd
    -rw-r----- 1 root shadow 1313 2010-08-19 18:11 /etc/shadow
    If shadow need chown: User root always has id 0. In my system group shadow has id 42, but I don't know if that always is the case on all ubuntus. Compare live-cd's /etc/group and /media/YYY/etc/group if shadow is the same. Then you can sudo chown root:shadow /media/YYY/etc/shadow, otherwise sudo chown 0:NUMBER /media/YYY/etc/shadow, with shadow's group number in that system.

Earlier today I was setting up ssh on a new computer. I modified permissions on the Passwd folder to complete the setup.
    Why? (The only thing i did was install the package in Synaptic, or was it apt-get).