Thread: SSH/Forwarding Question

Beans

SSH/Forwarding Question

I have my desktop set up at home to let me SSH in, or to port forward 8080 so I can browse the web securely (ha) from outside my home connection. If I wanted to set up my SSH server to port forward another port, say, 1701, in Telnet, so I have a secure telnet session on port 1701, what do I need to do?

Me -> My home box -> server I'm telneting into on port 1701.
    Last edited by Whisp3r; August 31st, 2010 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: SSH/Forwarding Question

Quote Originally Posted by Whisp3r View Post
    I have my desktop set up at home to let me SSH in, or to port forward 8080 so I can browse the web securely (ha) from outside my home connection. If I wanted to set up my SSH server to port forward another port, say, 1701, in Telnet, so I have a secure telnet session on port 1701, what do I need to do?

Me -> My home box -> server I'm telneting into on port 1701.
    Rather than tunnel telnet, why not just SSH into your home box, and then telnet into the second server from there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Rather than tunnel telnet, why not just SSH into your home box, and then telnet into the second server from there?
    +1. You'd be better off just using SSH for both machines. Telnet isn't encrypted.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Assuming you have to use telnet only because ssh isn't an supported on some device...

Your question is a bit confused. Do you mean "proxy" instead of "port forward"? ie. are you using the ssh -D option to run a SOCKS proxy or have you just setup a single tunnel just for web browsing on 8080.

If you use a tunnel then you are doing it the painful way. Using the SOCKS method you can access anything via ssh without any further tunnels.

ssh -fND 8080 user@home

Telnet doesn't directly support SOCKS proxies but you can run tsocks to trick it.

tsocks telnet target_ip 1701

This proxies through ssh to your home machine where a connection is opened to the target_ip:1701 for telnet.

First time you need to make sure /etc/tsocks.conf has the correct proxy port, in this case 8080. tsocks is in the Ubuntu repos.

Oh, and since ssh is in the background don't forget to kill it after.
    Last edited by BkkBonanza; September 1st, 2010 at 05:09 AM.