Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best open source competitor to Matlab?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Best open source competitor to Matlab?

one more for python.
    1.5 years ago I moved from matlab to python and definitely I think python+numpy is better, more flexible. There are also tons of different open-source libraries (for image processing, ANN, etc.)

Beans

I agree with those siting Python as a good alternative. I am an engineer and do lots of data analysis and program heavily in Matlab. Do to some limitations with gui development as well as lack of hdf5 file support I have been migrating to python. I also create data analysis tools for people to use that don't know how to program Python makes this easier. Python also has lots of good libraries that can be downloaded that make it very comparable to Matlab if not superior because Python is more of a full blow programming language that just does somethings that Matlab will never support. I currently use the scipy/ipyton/numpy packages with matlibplot. I'm not super happy with the plotting vs Matlab but its ok. If you go here they list most of the major packages available.

HTML Code:
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/NumericAndScientific

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

+1 for python/numpy/scipy/matplotlib. the numerical tools are good, and you have the whole python libraries to hook in. have a look at f2py if you want to hook in bits of C.

if you are coming from matlab to python have a look at
    http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users
    there are a few subtle differences worth knowing about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Octave for most purposes, SAGE for all others (specifically for replacing Mathematica)
    Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRossy View Post
    Mathematica's source is easy to get opened but it's really very-very powerful instrument.
    Eh, how exactly does one do that? Are you saying it's easy to crack open the source? That does not seem a valid solution to obtain workplace software. Or maybe I misunderstood you.

Also yes Sage is great and it's a great project but it is nowhere near as polished or generic a product as Mathematica. I hope sage gets there but just compare the overview of the products to see the difference.

SAGE:
    http://www.sagemath.org/tour.html
    MATHEMATICA:
    http://www.wolfram.com/products/math...uickoverview/#
    I suffer from web impatience. You have 5 seconds to amaze me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ahmatti View Post
    I have moved from Matlab to using R or SciPy. It really depends on what kind of work you do. If you work a lot with arrays, signals, linear algebra etc. then I think python+scipy+matplotlib is a bit better and the performance is in loops etc. is better than for R. On the other hand R offers more extension packages and is IMO more complete in terms of functionality.

I use R a lot for Machine Learning, but I rather use SciPy for signal processing problems. Both are easy to extend with C++ and I feel they are both generally better than Matlab. See Rcpp and Scipy.weave. Both also have good Emacs integration, ESS is actually the best Emacs mode I've used.
    I agree I think R is probably the most versatile you could use, there are also a LOT of mailing lists and forums for it and is renowned for it's modelling and award winning publication quality graphics. Rkward is also a brilliant tool for it and Sweave and odfWeave are definite boons when writing up your work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12