Thread: SSH Server and Router Port Forwarding

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

SSH Server and Router Port Forwarding

Heya,

I'm trying to get my SSH server I set up on my home box working from behind a router. A 2wire 2700HG-B gateway, in fact. Now, I know my server is working fine, because I can get into it via loopback, anywhere inside the LAN from another machine, OR if I go into the router's config and enable DMZ for the machine. However, I don't like having DMZ on all the time because of the kludge-ness of it, and the security issue of the complete absence of a hardware firewall.

If I try to port forward and access it from outside the LAN using the external IP (or my DynDNS, because it's dynamic), it just times out. I have a nonstandard port (45) for the listen port of the server, to keep away hack attempts if I were using the standard 22. I used this to see if the port was open, and it said it was. But, I tried the trick of telnetting the IP with that port, and it also timed out, instead of printing stuff about OpenSSH.

Attached is a screenie of my router's firewall page, so you all can look at it and see if I'm an idiot and doing it wrong. You might notice uTorrent there, it's because this machine is a dual-boot with 7, and the router doesn't differentiate the OS's. Also the SSH @ 46 port is for the Windows side, with freeSSHd. I changed the port on that one so the client I have can distinguish them, so it can run a reachability test.

What am I doing wrong here?
    Poof.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: SSH Server and Router Port Forwarding

Have you tried connecting to it with a computer that is not on your LAN? Most retail routers are not capable of loopback, so if you are on your own LAN and attempt to ssh to your external IP, it will probably not work.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Have you tried connecting to it with a computer that is not on your LAN? Most retail routers are not capable of loopback, so if you are on your own LAN and attempt to ssh to your external IP, it will probably not work.
    Wow, that actually seems to have worked. I tried it from my phone's 3G network and it seems to be operating. Although, I would still like to be able to SSH from within my own network, because my 3G is slow and not unlimited (I like doing SSH-tunneled VNC). Is there any way around this without using DMZ?
    Poof.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ThatBum View Post
    Wow, that actually seems to have worked. I tried it from my phone's 3G network and it seems to be operating. Although, I would still like to be able to SSH from within my own network, because my 3G is slow and not unlimited (I like doing SSH-tunneled VNC). Is there any way around this without using DMZ?
    While you are within your own LAN, you can just ssh to the machine's LAN IP address instead. Or, you can give your SSH server's LAN hostname. Usually the hostname is the second half of your terminal prompt. Here's an example from my own network:

My SSH server's terminal prompt:
    Code:
    dmizer@tokkyu:~$
    This is how I connect to the SSH server:
    Code:
    dmizer@japan:~$ ssh tokkyu
    Last login: Sun Aug 22 19:58:16 2010 from 10.2.0.118
    dmizer@tokkyu:~$

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ThatBum View Post
    I have a nonstandard port (45) for the listen port of the server, to keep away hack attempts if I were using the standard 22.
    This will not keep the hackers away. You will still need to harden your SSH server. If you allow password access, you will probably get hacked unless you have a REALLY difficult password (even then you could get hacked). There are ways around this, but really the best way to secure your server is to completely disable password authentication and use encrypted shared keys instead.

Finally, you should not be using port 45 as many scanners scan all ports from 0 to 1023 because these are the most commonly used ports.

Here's a start for you:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SS...SH/Configuring
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH/OpenSSH/Keys

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    While you are within your own LAN, you can just ssh to the machine's LAN IP address instead. Or, you can give your SSH server's LAN hostname. Usually the hostname is the second half of your terminal prompt.
    Thank you! It's so obvious now! Although this means I have to make another profile in PuTTY/iSSH. Meh.

Thanks for putting up with my n00bness.

EDIT: Oh yes, I did disable password access, and only use a 2048-bit key with it. I'll remember to change the port though.
    Last edited by ThatBum; August 30th, 2010 at 03:25 AM.
    Poof.

Beans
    Distro

You can also map the domain name in your hosts file so that it resolves to the local IP instead. This intercepts the DNS lookup and forces it local. This way you can use the same name whether local or outside, which helps for profiles and scripting.

The downside is that you would have to comment the line out when you are accessing from outside your LAN, eg. on a laptop when away from home.

Another way is to add the name as a static name entry in your router if it supports that (such as in dnsmasq on Linksys routers). This way it is automatically overrided.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BkkBonaza View Post
    You can also map the domain name in your hosts file so that it resolves to the local IP instead. This intercepts the DNS lookup and forces it local. This way you can use the same name whether local or outside, which helps for profiles and scripting.

The downside is that you would have to comment the line out when you are accessing from outside your LAN, eg. on a laptop when away from home.

Another way is to add the name as a static name entry in your router if it supports that (such as in dnsmasq on Linksys routers). This way it is automatically overrided.
    No thanks, I would never remember to comment the line out every time I left home. I have enough trouble remembering to unplug my fingerprint reader so my machine doesn't ask me to scan my finger...when the reader is miles away!
    Poof.

Beans
    Distro

Unlike having your fingerprint reader miles away, the /etc/hosts file is always right there and easy to alter in a few seconds.

For your Putty profile it's no big deal having two, but if you ever set up scripts then having to maintain two versions is more hassle.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BkkBonaza View Post
    Unlike having your fingerprint reader miles away, the /etc/hosts file is always right there and easy to alter in a few seconds.

For your Putty profile it's no big deal having two, but if you ever set up scripts then having to maintain two versions is more hassle.
    If it becomes a problem, the real solution here is to have a local DNS server to handle the correct name forwarding on the LAN.