Thread: Need help purchasing/creating a small desktop

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Need help purchasing/creating a small desktop

Hi! I just recently bought an Acer Aspire 7745G to replace my large desktop since I moved into a small place. I wanted to only run Ubuntu on it, and it went great for the first few minutes, but then I started running into problems with the harddrive and partitioning, and then the CD-ROM decided to just stop working, and on startup the system would occasionally hang. It wasn't working too bad, but the culmulation of problems made me decide to return it. I've been looking for the past week and bought the Acer with no luck, so I'm looking to the community for some knowledge and assistance.

I'm now considering buying a small desktop, like a shuttle and I need the community's help.

I have a couple of requirements:
    - small case
    - HDMI output
    - video card that can at least output 1440x900 (the higher the better)
    - A CPU in the Intel core i7 series (in the high end)

It's something that I want to keep around for a long time, and it will only have Ubuntu on it. I've considered the shuttle PCs, but can't find good information about how Ubuntu-compabile they are. Can you guys provide either a pre-built system or provide me with parts that are linux-compatible that I can buy and put together. I'd like to try and keep the price around the 1000 mark (I'm in Canada).

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Need help purchasing/creating a small desktop

I've considered the shuttle PCs, but can't find good information about how Ubuntu-compabile they are.
    Newegg.com is a good place to find all the components you need to complete the final assembly of a current barebones Shuttle system. My Shuttle, a model SN68GS has been chugging along on Ubuntu beginning with version 7.10 through 9.10. I have never had any problems with it since I assembled it three years ago. Try this link for a Shuttle that appears to meet your desired specs.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856101098
    All you need to do is add a CPU, memory, hard drive, and CD/DVD reader. Once you gather all of your peripherals, you can complete final assembly in a couple of hours followed by installing Ubuntu in less than an hour. It should work great.

Have fun.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm in Toronto if that matters. I was thinking about using Canada Computers for the parts.