Thread: confused Lynx using shared directory in XP

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

confused Lynx using shared directory in XP

Hi, I'm new to networking. I have two PCs. One is running Windows XP Pro SP3. The other is running Ubuntu.

I wanted to share files between them both. I decided to share a directory on my Windows box. I disabled Simple File Sharing. And shared the directory the other way; I think it's the one where you configure Access Control List (ACL) for each shared disk or folder.

Anyway, I created a new user on my Windows XP box with an account type of "limited" instead of "computer administrator". I added him to the list of users to be able to share the directory I wanted to share. Everything went fine.

Then, I sat in front of my Ubuntu computer and was able to access the files in the shared directory through the LAN using the "limited" user I created on XP.

My questions are due to the fact that I haven't played with networking before and didn't realize some things. I didn't realize I'd be able to:
    - play movies on my Linux box that are in the shared directory on XP.
    How is that possible? I am using VLC movie player in Ubuntu.

Thank you for your time. And if you could suggest other fun networking things to do that would be cool.

Beans

Re: confused Lynx using shared directory in XP

It's shared. That's how. Does that answer your question?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: confused Lynx using shared directory in XP

I just thought that for me to read the Windows Share that I had to install Samba or something on my Ubuntu.

So, since I didn't setup Samba on my Ubuntu I thought something was wrong.

Thank you.