Thread: Live CD screen flickers continuously on 10.04.1

Beans

Live CD screen flickers continuously on 10.04.1

As the title says, when I select the install option on the liveCD, the Ubuntu logo is shown, and the flickering starts. I've tried the vga=XXX option, but no luck. Any experiences? It doesnt' happen with the 9.10 live CD...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Live CD screen flickers continuously on 10.04.1

That is the advantage of using a live CD: Now you know which version to install (if you don't want to carry on experimenting with boot options).

Some screen cards, which were supported in 9.10, lost support in 10.04, but since 9.10 is maintained until april 2011 you will not be ubuntu-less
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I'll try to upgrade to Lucid Lynx from the update manager in 9.10...

Beans

If there's not something so special in Lucid that you really like to have, I'd suggest to stick with Karmik since it seems to support your system 'out-of-box'.

Upgrading sometimes causes problems and as such, mostly a fresh install is recommended. However, it's just a minor risk that I guess you can safely take (if you can reinstall Karmik, just in case )

I'm sure the driver will also get upgraded while upgrading the system causing the same problem and so you may need to roll back to the earlier one (the one used in Karmik).

Alternatively, you may try to make a fresh install of Lucid, and only replace display driver modules with the ones used in karmik. To determine which driver/modules are in use, you may try lsmod or lspci -v commands.
    Last edited by varunendra; August 30th, 2010 at 06:44 AM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags