Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Scientific Ubuntu - Installing OpenFOAM CFD software

Beans

Re: HowTo: Scientific Ubuntu - Installing OpenFOAM CFD software

Hello there!
    Perhaps it is too late for this warning: The instructions given only apply for the 32 bit version of OpenFOAM 1.3, if you try to follow them exactly for the 64 bit compilation you will run into troubles, I do not have a 64 bit machine to test this, so I don't know what could happen. Please see advice by MKW87 above (thanks for this!) and read the release notes included in the OpenFOAM distribution regarding the installation on 64 bit environments...

Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by derjames View Post
    Hello there!
    Perhaps it is too late for this warning: The instructions given only apply for the 32 bit version of OpenFOAM 1.3, if you try to follow them exactly for the 64 bit compilation you will run into troubles, I do not have a 64 bit machine to test this, so I don't know what could happen. Please see advice by MKW87 above (thanks for this!) and read the release notes included in the OpenFOAM distribution regarding the installation on 64 bit environments...

Cheers
    Actually the installation is the same except for setting 64-bit mode to on, which I noted how to do and added to the Wiki as well. I'm not sure why I had problems with the directories, that may be related to 64-bit as well, but since I wasn't sure I put it in a general troubleshooting section at the end of the wiki.
    Desktop: Opty 165 @ 289x9, 1.38v | 2x1GB G.Skill, 3-4-4-8, 2.6v | nVidia 7600GT | Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Laptop: Intel Centrino Duo T2300 | 2 GB Ram | Intel 945GM Graphics | Intel 3945ABG Wireless

Beans

Hey, I've just upgraded my system to Dapper (fresh install) and I had no problems whatsoever during the OpenFOAM installation... I have a feeling it is somewhat slower (It is just a feel)... but any way if you've got one of those fancy dual core processors perhaps you won't see any difference...

Cheers

Beans

Are you still able to use this program? One of the recent updates (not sure which) appears to have broken mine, and I cannot get it fixed. Even though I have it set up for 64-bit version, it does not look in the appropriate folders. If I echo $WM_64, it says its on, which it should, but when I try to execute FoamX, it looks for java in ~/x/x/x/linux/j2sdk1.4.2_05 instead of ~/x/x/x/linuxAMD64/j2sdk1.4.2_05

Any ideas?

Nevermind, I figured it out. Not sure what I did though...
    Last edited by mkw87; August 27th, 2006 at 04:22 PM.
    Desktop: Opty 165 @ 289x9, 1.38v | 2x1GB G.Skill, 3-4-4-8, 2.6v | nVidia 7600GT | Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Laptop: Intel Centrino Duo T2300 | 2 GB Ram | Intel 945GM Graphics | Intel 3945ABG Wireless

Beans

HEllo, mkw87, No problems whatsoever... FoamX still running OK... however in my case I decided not to use FoamX, I change the dictionary files using the text editor (VIM, gedit, etc) and run the solvers from the command line... I think that's faster...

cheers

Beans

Hello people,
    There is another way to use OpenFOAM, There is a liveCD out there called-CAE Linux based on PCLinuxOS which contains a lot of preprossesing utilities Salomé, Gmesh, etc., solvers: including OpenFOAM, Elmer, COde_Aster, etc, and Postprocessing utilities. It can be run as a live CD, it can be installed in hard drive and running in LINUX/Windows using VMware...

http://www.caelinux.com

running as a live CD, all FEA, FVM solvers are preconfigured so no more installation hassles...

Beans

Now running on Ubuntu Edgy - No problems so far...

Beans

I have installed OpenFoam successfully in my PC. everything is working fine. But problem is now with paraview. Previously it was working okay. yesterday I have updated some ubuntu applications. After that when I try to open paraview I am getting follwing error message.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Aborted
    --------------------------------------------------

Anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Don't know if I have an answer, but it looks like you have an nvidia video card.

Can you describe what you did previously to get your video card working.

Other threads say you may need to install/update linux-restricted-formats or edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Nice How-to

This thread has been added to the UDSF wiki.

OpenFOAM
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast