Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCD has red background .. very disturbing.!

Beans

Exclamation LCD has red background .. very disturbing.!

Hi,
    I'm using ubuntu 10.04 on a Dell inspiron 1420 laptop which i purchased 3 years back.. usually while starting the dell logo appears on a black background,but suddenly 2day morning it has changed to a bright red background.. it causes a blurred visuall effect on the screen and all colors appears changed...
    Is this a hardware problem or software problem??while running diagnostics the colors were displayed but still i could do nothing to change it...
    Plz help me out with this....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: LCD has red background .. very disturbing.!

sounds like LCD screen died. i had this happen to one of my laptops once, and replaced the screen. it works normally now. but, that laptop was a pentium 3, so it was a little old...
    always learning more every day.
    this is the best tech community i have ever known.

Beans

Exclamation Re: LCD has red background .. very disturbing.!

Oh how much does it cost to replace the LCD ???

Beans
    Distro

i replaced mine myself. it wasn't hard. (but ive been working with computer hardware a while...) the challenge is finding a screen that is exactly like your current one. they usually run around $20 on ebay. (but i haven't checked prices in a while, and it varies by brand, model, etc)

if you want to replace it yourself, just make sure you are careful and put everything back exactly how it was. chances are there is a how-to out there somewhere, and if you cant find one, the manual for your laptop should help.

Beans

Ohk.. I'm not an expert regarding computer hardware... I'll better contact customer care .. i'll come back if there are further problems .. thanks so much for helping ....

Beans

Actually the customer care asked me to perform a test ,in that all colors were displayed without any problem... my problem is i'm able to view everything but colors changed because of this red background.... they said its mostly bcoz of driver's ... asked me to update my drivers.....!!!! now can yo give suggestions on this??

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nsiva007 View Post
    my problem is i'm able to view everything but colors changed because of this red background....

could you clarify a little more?

another question... what tests did they run?

does the POST screen have a red color?

Beans

->Usually during startup i have this dell logo with a black background,but now a dark red background is coming this red shows up even on my desktop, this also causes most of colors to change.i.e white is not shown as light sky blue and etc ..... the contrast seems to be more...

->The test is D+power button to test the LCD(on DELL inspiron 1420),it displayed different colours with absolutely no problem,there was no distortion in those colors....

->I didn't get the POST thing... i'm assuming it to be my desktop,yea the problem is that the red background is there but not everything is red(some areas have red horizontal stripes ) ,this red bacground causes other colors to look different.. i can adjust brightness and all.....!!

What could this problem be... kindly assist... i read somewhere that LCD's are robust and doesn't need replacement unless physically damaged or cracked...!!!

Beans

->Usually during startup i have this dell logo with a black background,but now a dark red background is coming this red shows up even on my desktop, this also causes most of colors to change.i.e white is not shown as light sky blue and etc ..... the contrast seems to be more...

->The test is D+power button to test the LCD(on DELL inspiron 1420),it displayed different colours with absolutely no problem,there was no distortion in those colors....

->I didn't get the POST thing... i'm assuming it to be my desktop,yea the problem is that the red background is there but not everything is red(some areas have red horizontal stripes ) ,this red bacground causes other colors to look different.. i can adjust brightness and all.....!!

What could this problem be... kindly assist... i read somewhere that LCD's are robust and doesn't need replacement unless physically damaged or cracked...!!!

Beans

I myself fixed the problem.. actually the problem was loose cables....!!! juzz tightened them..!!! display is fine now..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast