Thread: Satan is corrupting my hard drive!

Beans

Exclamation Satan is corrupting my hard drive!

Ok, my logical drive was accidently deleted, and along with it, it took a (almost) 130 GB NTFS partition, my Backtrack 4.0 partitions, and my Kubuntu 10.04 partitions - the former containing GRUB Stage 2, i believe.. i could afford to lose the OS partitions, but not the NTFS partition, so i fired up testdisk to restore my partitions, and i expected it to work flawlessly, seeing that i hadn't messed up any data on that bit of the drive.. it showed me the partitions exactly how they used to be, so i decided to write them back.. now i have a problem..
    whenever i boot up in Ubuntu or Backtrack, i can see the partitions mounted! I can view pictures, and stuff.. but whenever i run GParted to install Ubuntu back (i still can't boot with GRUB, error 22) i see the whole hard disk as unallocated space.. i am completely scared outta my wits..
    To top all this, i'm a noob!! Only been using the GUI for about a year (Gnome, just switched to KDE), lately been reading up and trying to learn the CLI, and we all know how scared noobs get, when faced with such problems..
    I have to boot off of live cds to get online!!

edit: btw, i have WinXP on the first partition.
    Last edited by minigilani; August 28th, 2010 at 02:31 AM. Reason: adding data

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Satan is corrupting my hard drive!

First and foremost, you should be concerned with trying to save any data you can; reinstalling can come later if needs be.

Also, since you are using a LiveCD please post the results of the bootscript linked to at the bottom of my post so we can get a better overview your setup.

Beans

Talking Re: Satan is corrupting my hard drive!

Ok, i fixed it. I made a slight error when restoring my partitions through testdisk, my NTFS partition was a logical drive, i accidentally selected it as a primary partition during the restore process.. i believe Gparted is a bit finicky when it comes to reading hard disks. Anyways, i fixed it.
    Thanks Rubi =D

Beans

If you edit the topic title and mark it as solved this topic will stand a better chance of helping others later. I'm glad your problem is solved.

Beans

Done, thanks Chrono.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You are more than welcome